question

hoffy avatar image
hoffy asked

IP67 Charger running at 60 degrees, is this normal or is it overheating?

I have an IP 67 12/25 running on lithium setting to charge my Li-ion battery.

When charging at 25 amps it is running at 58 - 60 degrees C. Is this normal or do I have a faulty charger. It's certainly too hot to hold my hand on it.

Cheers

Graeme

charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kai avatar image kai โ™ฆ commented ยท

whats the room temp when it was charging?

0 Likes 0 ยท
2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ยท

Hi @Hoffy,

It is still within specification for the IP67 chargers to operate up to 60 degrees celsius.

The power output should be reduced by 3% per degree above 40 degrees, in order to stay within that 60 degree upper limit.

To maximise the life of the charger, and get optimal performance, it is best to have it operating in a room with an ambient temperature of 25 degrees, with plenty of good airflow over the unit.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hoffy avatar image
hoffy answered ยท

Thanks for the responses.

The ambient temp is usually in around the mid to high twenties.

There are only two charge rate options on this unit :25 amps or 10 amps. Even on 10 amp charge it is still running at 50+Celsius.

This makes the charger effectively a 10 amp charger even though it is rated at 25 amps.

I would be keen to hear of other users experience with this model regarding the operating temps. (IP 67 12/25)

1 comment
2 |3000

kai avatar image kai โ™ฆ commented ยท

Haven't used that particular model, but as Guy mentioned its still within spec. If you had said ambient was around 0 celsius then I would be looking at the unit sideways, but not if the ambient was around 25-30.

Generally "sealed supplies" like the IP67 (which is actually an protection rating for ingress from dust & water) will need to operate a higher temperature because of how they're designed and constructed. Encapsulating the electronics in resin means heat has to transfer through a relatively high thermal resistance material using only thermal conduction, and that ultimately results in higher temperatures than non-sealed supplies which can have vents in the case and allow air flow to cool the power electronics by convection or fan forced air.

Sealed supplies still rely on airflow to support heat transfer from the case to the surrounding environment - hence the recommendation to get good fresh airflow around the unit.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic