question

jgrimm77 avatar image
jgrimm77 asked

Limit charge current in ESS system

The system in question has an Octo GX, 15kVA Quattro, 8x Pylon US3000 and 3x 250/100 MPPT's.

Para 4.3.9 (Limit Charge Power) in the ESS Design and Installation Manual states, inter-alia, that: "

• This setting does not reduce the charge power coming from MPPT Solar Chargers."

I assume the exact setting referred to is this one:

My observation, however, is that this setting certainly affects the MPPT power if switched on.

For example, see below the severely throttled yield until the moment I switched this setting off again:

My batteries' SOC at the time was 31% so I expected all "spare" PV power to be directed to charging the batteries.

My goal is simply to limit or even entirely prevent using grid power to recharge batteries.

Am I misunderstanding something about this setting?

Thank you.

ESScharge current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @jgrimm77

Your confusing the ESS settings with the DVCC settings, read here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#dvcc_features_for_all_systems

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jgrimm77 avatar image
jgrimm77 answered ·

Hi Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Ja, I see what you mean, thank you.

However, the ESS charge limit setting is not visible in my ESS menu (FW v2.42). Is it perhaps only visible when running in certain battery modes?

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic