question

paul-henry avatar image
paul-henry asked

Suggested charging parameters for Trojan L16E-AC Lead Acid batteries in parallel?

Greetings, new to Victron, lots of questions. I have a house bank on my boat consisting of 6 Trojan L16E-AC 6 volt batteries, 3 pairs of 12 volt = about 1100, 20 hour, 12 volt Amp hours. I have two Multi-plus's in parallel (12/3000/120), a CCGX and a BMV712. Everything is working but not sure if everything is optimally configured. I am wondering what the best Charging parameters would be in the VE-config settings. Trojan recommends 14.8 absorption and a 13.5 Float. Iโ€™m not sure if these are considered โ€œTractionโ€ batteries as far as the VE-config options for battery types go.

Very recently installed and yesterday powered up the Multipluses from my generator, BMV712 indicated I was down 200 Amps but Charger went into Float right away and continued to do that even when I turned off AC input feed and turned it back on. So Iโ€™m thinking that My configuration is incorrect for charging parameters. I tested all cells for specific Gravity and all is well. Iโ€™m also wondering what the best method for equalizing these batteries, Trojan suggests equalizing at 16.2 volts for 2-3 hours.

Also, My BMV712 and CCGX both consistently show a voltage .2 volts less than what I read at the batteries.

One more question. If one of the units fails, and I want to switch to a single unit, re-wiring appropriately, is there a way to bring the units back to factory defaults and program with dip switches or do I have to go into VE-config with my windows laptop?

Thanks

battery charging
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic โ™ฆ commented ยท

Please check the fuse for the BMV, it should be a 1a fuse. Some were shipped with a 100ma fuse.

0 Likes 0 ยท
2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ยท

Hi Paul. This is *personal opinion*, subject to dissent by Trojan or anybody else..

Trojan's recommendations will be derived from lab figures, and perhaps a 'performance' target for max batt response. Not necessarily longevity.

And you've paralleled up 3x strings. and that's definitely not lab conditions. I'd be inclined to ease-up on the 14.8 Abs because of that. The Float won't really matter much. I use 14.4V Abs (+/- temp comp).

Just select the 'Flooded deep discharge..etc' algorithm. Change the settings as you need. Default will likely include 'Adaptive + BatterySafe'. Can't hurt, try them.

Equalization best performed when you're around to monitor them. Your tall batts may need a stir-up occasionally, but if you're cycling them daily anyway, maybe not needed too often.

Dunno about the 0.2V. Might be impinged by wire size, current, etc. Maybe boil down to which meter you trust? Compensate for it in the charge settings if you must.

Forget the dipswitches. VeConfig is the go, and over VRM is fairly painless. Once you finish experimenting and get it setup as you want, you won't need it often.

Planning for failure isn't something Victron users think about much. Have faith.. :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paul-henry avatar image
paul-henry answered ยท

John, thanks for info and perspective. Particularly liked your confidence in the โ€œplanning for failureโ€ comment. For one who is typically cruising in the middle of nowhere, itโ€™s always about redundancy and contingency. Is there a way to switch from parallel to single unit mode without going into the ve-config app? I would like to get the VRM up and running, seems a bit complicated from the documentation, iโ€™ll Have to work on that.

Right now, iโ€™m A happy camper, inverter started charging yesterday @ 160 amps so my problem of charger going right to float seems to have disappeared for now. Any idea what might have caused that? Iโ€™ll consider adjusting absorption voltage after some more successful cycles.

Iโ€™m still seeing a .2 volt difference between my battery terminals and the 712. Added to the mystery is something I just noticed, when the 712 is at rest, not illuminated, it reads the correct voltage (as measured by my meter at batteries). The moment I press the setup button (which illuminated display) the voltage losses .2 volts. At the same time the CCGX voltage reading will also lose .2 volts. Itโ€™s as if the 712 is taking the correct voltage from the CCGX until the 712 lights up and then it goes to its own voltage reading (.2 volts less) and the CCGX voltage reading adjust to the lower reading from the 712. Very strange. Then if I toggle through the CCGX displays I can get the correct voltage back on the CCGX. At the moment I do not have any voltage sensors on battery bank from Multipluses.

I bought a

Powermax 75 amp converter/charger that lets m fix the charging voltage at 16.2 volts which seems to equalize my batteries well, I thank they are back to normal now. Iโ€™m surprised victron doesnโ€™t give me the ability to set equalization parameters such as voltage and duration.

All is good aboard, for the time being.

4 comments
2 |3000

elvistherv avatar image elvistherv commented ยท

Based upon you answer about being stuck in the middle of nowhere, Iโ€™d suggest you get the Mk3 VE.Bus interface in order to easily change the settings, without needing an internet connection that you would need to update via VRM.

I personally just pop the CCGX out of its panel and the plug the VE.Bus cable into the interface if I need to do it rather than clambering into the bay my Quattro is in with a laptop.

(The Mk. 3 is also the only way to update the firmware on the inverter/chargers)

0 Likes 0 ยท
paul-henry avatar image paul-henry elvistherv commented ยท

Thanks for suggestion, Elvis, I have the MX3, sorry I didnโ€™t make that clear. Iโ€™m adverse to unplugging (and plugging back) any connections in a working system though, which is why Iโ€™d like to plug an Ethernet cable into the CCGX and just leave it connected to my router which is in close proximity. I havenโ€™t used the MX3 yet, but am planning to run VE-config on my windows laptop to look at my charger settings, and maybe adjust

Paul

0 Likes 0 ยท
elvistherv avatar image elvistherv paul-henry commented ยท

The reason I unplug the cable (it's just a standard RJ45 connection, like ethernet) from the CCGX and use that with the Mk3 is that the instructions for the Mk3 specify to unplug any CCGX/Venus components before using the Mk3 anyway.

As I said (and maybe wasn't clear) as far as I can tell changing settings over the network requires going through the VRM portal which also requires an internet connection I don't believe you could update them just with a local LAN.

That said, of course, you would only need to use the Mk3 if there was a problem AND you are without an internet connection and as you have a Mk3 anyway it's just another tool in the box.

0 Likes 0 ยท
JohnC avatar image JohnC โ™ฆ commented ยท

I hear ya re the redundancy. A pal of mine recently asked why I have 2x of everything. I replied "Ahh, not the Victron kit, don't need it". Bit of a white-lie there though, I could cover it with a little wire-swinging, but that's what you do in an emergency.

Get your VRM up. It's not complex to do at all, Frankly, I consider it Victron's greatest asset, and dang, it's free!!

Finding your way around the VRM site with all it can do might be a challenge, but those sort of challenges are enjoyable. Highly recommended, just do it.

Your '0.2V' issue suggests possibly long/thin cables to the 712 if the backlight is influencing things. You'll track it down if you're keen enough..

And your Multis already have internal V-sensing, which can also pass to VRM.

This stuff isn't low-end kit. You just have to discover what it can do. I remember being stunned during my own learning-curve. Enjoy the trip..

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic