question

Doug Foskey avatar image
Doug Foskey asked

Controlling Load with help from CCGX

Hi, Is it possible to use software to switch a remote load with the CCGX?

I want to control loads, initially my Pool with a wireless switch (a hacked Sonoff type device that will be on my network, using Tasmota software). The pump will need to switch on when the solar is generating enough output (400w required), for about 4 hours consistently. I can use a rPi to perform the switching & control if necessary, but can I send a message or signal to start the process? I cannot use the relay contacts because the Inverter/CCGX/Multiplus11 are remote from the main house, & the pool is away from the house. The Wifi switch will be connected to the house router (which is Ethernet-over-power to the CCGX.

Eventually I would like to measure the environment (Rain, wind, irradiance, temp) & control things like transfer pumps. I would also like to ensure the pool pump is not blocked or dry running, so I may look at an open energy monitor hub as the central device (an rPi). I am on a small farm.

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
elvistherv avatar image
elvistherv answered ·

So I'm doing something related to this; trying to integrate the CCGX into a Home Automation system, to control load shedding during a loss of shore power and handle the generator starting sequence with a bit more finesse (turning off high load items until the Inverter/Charger has locked onto the genertaor output) so I went for a Hubitat as it can control Zigbee and Z-wave devices as well as IP bases devices. (https://hubitat.com/) I'd describe it as the prosumer of HA hubs, more flexible but a steeper learning curve than a Samsung SmartThings or Philips Hue hub, etc. (and importantly to me can be completely local, no reliance on any web services, although it can make use of them) but ultimately not as flexible as a Pi, but not as steep a learning curve.

The major problem, for now, is the that MQTT support in Hubitat is a little new (and as far as I can tell non-existent for Modbus-TCP), currently, I can only get/set binary flags on the CCGX so unless the relay on the charger can be programmed to open/close (which is visible as an MQTT topic - assuming a Victron product connected to the CCGX) based upon the output this might not be much use to you.

I am in discussion with the guy developing the MQTT stuff for the Hubitat and it's rapidly evolving so hopefully over the next few weeks (Christmas getting in the way) this should improve.

In addition, you could do stuff in Node Red on the Pi, I personally only managed to get the Victron Modbus-TCP Node Red stuff partially working (and being able to use MQTT directly on the Hubitat meant one less bit of kit - to run Node Red) so that would be an avenue to explore too.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Doug Foskey avatar image
Doug Foskey answered ·

Thanks Elvis. You are talking about the sort of direction I was considering, but I more like the OpenEnergy Monitor approach. I might ask the question on their forum too.

Merry Christmas all who celebrate!, regards Doug

2 |3000

Rene Mullie avatar image
Rene Mullie answered ·

I am setting up a similar idea and working with OpenHab as a HA hub/controller, has lots of bindings to control actuators/sensors. Also MQTT and MODbusTCP is possible with the Venus OS. In OpenHab a powerful rule engine can do almost anything, and most of it through GUI to control.

2 |3000