question

snt avatar image
snt asked

Does the Centaur charger connected to 3 separate batteries charge each bank at the appropriate rate?

My Centaur has 3 separate outputs connected to three separate batteries, the engine start, the thruster and the house bank. If the house bank is depleted to say 70% but the thruster batttery is at 95% - will the centaur apply most of its charge to the house bank and very little to the thruster battery. I am concerned that the charger will pump out the same charge across all three outputs. Ie whilst the charge algorithm may be same, is it applied independently to each battery? Thanks

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snt avatar image
snt answered ·

I think I have answered my own question, I just used a DC clamp meter (for the first time) and the amps going into each of the batteries is different, about 0.7A to the Thruster 4.6A to the Starter and 6.7A to the house bank.

The starter and the house bank share the same negative cable which runs through a BMV 712 battery shunt/monitor which read + 12A. The clamp meter at the negative bus also read around 12A-. The analogue dial on the Centaur reads just over 12A so it must be showing the total amps out.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic