question

leftcoastman35 avatar image
leftcoastman35 asked

Virtual Phoenix Panel not working with Quattro 24/5000/120

I am running a Quattro 24/5000/120 with software version 2648413 as reported by VE Configure 3 90.04.217 and am having trouble using the Virtual Phoenix Panel (Phoenix Multi Control) that is in the VE Configure 3 software. The rest of the system consists of Victron Smart Lithium batteries, VE.BUS BMS, BlueSolar MPPT 150/35 and a BMV-712.

When I try to turn the Quattro off using the Virtual Phoenix Panel, for example, it will turn off the inverter for about 3 seconds and then the Quattro will turn itself right back on. Following the manual, I've tried to physically use the switch on the Quattro to turn it off/on while the Virtual Phoenix Panel is loaded the first time, per the instructions, but it doesn't change the Viritual Phoenix Panel behavior.

My desire is to be able to turn off the inverter at night as we don't need 230v AC at night and would rather not waste the 30w or so the Quattro draws at idle.

Am I doing something wrong or does the Virtual Phoenix Panel not work with the Quattro?

VEConfigure 3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I think the problem is that in a system with a VE.Bus BMS a remote panel has to be connected to the BMS not directly to the Multi/Quattro.

You should connect a physical remote panel:

https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-systems-remote-monitoring/digital-multi-control-panel-gx

OR

Try to connect a physical switch to the "remote switch" connector (right and middle) -> manual appendix A - H

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leftcoastman35 avatar image
leftcoastman35 answered ·

From the VE.Bus BMS, I have the Ethernet cable connected to a MK3-to-USB connector and then my computer, which is running Ve Configure 3, which has the virtual panel on it. But I guess you're saying that with the Ve.Bus BMS, the virtual panel wouldn't work?

I have connected a physical switch to the "remote switch" connector and I am able to get the inverter to turn off by having a switch connect right and middle per your suggestion. Thanks for that! One thing though - is there a way to turn off charging remotely without the physical remote panel? That would be equivalent to the "OFF" position on the Quattro. The reason I want to do that is that the Quattro charging runs off an Onan generator and I want to turn off the Quattro charger and allow the generator to cool down for a minute or two before shutting down the generator.

Right now, I go into VE Config3 and turn charging to zero amps, but that's quite cumbersome.

Thanks again for your help!

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @leftcoastman35

you can get creative with the inputs and output of the Quattro to build a timer, and / or just use one input with a switch connected to ignore AC input - or - set charging amps to zero.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:start

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:overview_of_available_assistants

0 Likes 0 ·
leftcoastman35 avatar image leftcoastman35 Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

That is exactly what I needed! Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·