question

Darren eastham avatar image
Darren eastham asked

My victron easy solar wont charge my batteries via my generator please help

Tried 3 different generators but no luck any ideas folks

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Maybe you have to adjust a few settings.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Darren eastham avatar image
Darren eastham answered ·

Hi thanks for your answer but maybe I should fill you in on a few things, firstly I was charging my batteries using a 6kw genny and had no problems at all but that genny broke down so I tried using a 1.1 kw genny and it started to charge but the genny wasn't powerful enough so I purchased a 5.5kw genny and wired it up but the easy solar seemed to try to charge the batteries but wouldn't start charging. I hope that will explain it a bit better for you. Fingers crossed ✌️✌️ @m.lange

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Every genny is different. Only because it works with the first two gennys doesn't mean it works with the third one.
I'm still at the point that you have to try to adjust some settings.
Check the voltage and frequency of the genny. If one (or both) fluctuate to much (or is out off the specified values), it's hard for the Multi to synchronize.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

You can limit the charge current in the color control (setting-Multiplus-input current limit) to take the heavy load off the generator when you connect it, then change it back when reconnecting to Grid. At home we charge our 3kva easy using a (very) Chinese 2kva generator by limiting the input current to 4A which translates to about 920W. It does take a little longer to charge up but better than the flat battery alternative. We did have to adjust the generator as the frequency was too low, even when setting all the settings from the article linked by M.Lange as suggested. We did this by reading the frequency on the colour control and adjusting the genset to where it accepted it at 50 (ish) htz

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic