question

fairline avatar image
fairline asked

BMW 712 not calculating total used amp

I have consumption on 0,2 amps, but on consumed ampes its not showing anything. When higher consumption exampel 10 amps its shows, but not on small consumption like 0,2 amp. After 14 days it should have shown 67 amps(0,2x24hx14 days). Any settings wrong?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@fairline, are you not charging at all during the 14-day period you mention? The consumed Ah counter resets after a charge cycle, so if you have any charge source connected (shore power, solar charge controller, dc-dc charger, etc) that has applied a charge to the battery bank in that period of time, you won't see that consumption show up.

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fairline avatar image fairline commented ·

No charging that period. I charge up all batteries, switch of all consumers, only some electronict on engine that consume 0,2 amp pr hour..After 14 days consumed amps shows 0, should have been approx 67 amps..

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ fairline commented ·

Hmmm that is odd indeed. Shouldn't be a setting issue; generally if the shunt can see a draw, the head unit can track it.

Question, though: is the display showing -.2, or .2?

The difference being that .2 is showing a charge, -.2 is showing a draw. This would explain why the head unit isn't showing cumulative consumption, if it's not reading it as consumed.

If you're seeing .2 rather than -.2, the problem is that the negative supplying your engine electronics is connected to the wrong side of the shunt, or the shunt is connected in reverse. Is that possible? Can you post a photo of the shunt connections?

0 Likes 0 ·
fairline avatar image fairline Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Showing -0,2 amps so draw..Everything else its okay. When consumption coming up more, i dont now how much, then consumed amps counting..But low as -0,2 it dont count.

0 Likes 0 ·
fairline avatar image fairline fairline commented ·

When i shut of electronic the amps shows 0,0 amps..So shunt correct connected..

0 Likes 0 ·

Well, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas then... the BMVs have occasional issues seeing tiny loads, but yours is seeing the load but not recording it, which is a different issue and not one that I've previously encountered.

Is the device firmware up-to-date? Generally speaking, failure to log consumed Ah sounds like it will qualify for a warranty return and I suggest that you contact your distributor, but they will doubtless ask what version FW you're running and advise you to update it to the latest and see if that solves the problem, so you can save yourself a step by checking that first; the latest device FW version is 4.03, with its BT interface FW being 2.23.

0 Likes 0 ·
fairline avatar image fairline Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Yes it was upgraded the moment i started it up. had it for a couple of months now..

0 Likes 0 ·

If you haven't updated it for several months, you'll need to update it again; FW and BT FW updates are released fairly regularly.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniel avatar image
Daniel answered ·

In the app is something called "current threshold". Mine is set to 0.1A and it counts everything over 0.1A. Witch value is in your bmv?

2 comments
2 |3000

fairline avatar image fairline commented ·

Mine is set to 0,1 amp also. Mayby put it to 0,0 amp? Is that the set value its start counting abow, i dont understand waht Current Threshold means

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniel avatar image Daniel fairline commented ·

In the Manual it's described like this:

07. Current threshold
When the current measured falls below this value it will be considered zero.
The current threshold is used to cancel out very small currents that can negatively affect the long term
state-of-charge readout in noisy environments. For example if the actual long term current is 0,0A and due
to injected noise or small offsets the battery monitor measures -0,05A, and in the long term the BMV can
incorrectly indicate that the battery needs recharging. When the current threshold in this example is set to
0,1A, the BMV calculates with 0,0A so that errors are eliminated.
A value of 0,0A disables this function.
Default Range Step size
0,1A 0 – 2A 0,01A

in short: Everything under the set value is considered as 0A. Try set it to 0.0A and it disables this function.

0 Likes 0 ·