question

taks avatar image
taks asked

Can I use a Rutland 1200 WG (400W) and a Victron 150/50 to the same baterry bank?

Hi All,

I have a Rutland 1200 Wind Generator with its native Hybrid controller (which also accepts up to 250W(I think) of PV, and 2x270AH AGM batteries in a marine application.

I have just bought (not yet installed) 800W (12V nom.) of solar panels and a 150/50 smart MPPT controller (Victron).

I intend to retain the 400W wind generator with its native controller, and also use the victron 150/50 MMPT controller.

It occured to me last night while building the combiner box for the new array that the two different controllers may 'confuse' each other with different voltage inputs to the batteries.

does anyone know if this will be OK or do i need to throw out the Wind Generator?

Cheers

-T

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ยท

This is not usually a problem at all. The controllers will be out of sync with one another which can result in extended absorb times, but this isn't normally an issue.

One issue I have encountered is if the wind controller's operation is to PWM its dump load across the battery. This means that if the wind controller goes into float and the PV charger is still in bulk, all the PV energy will also be going into the dump load as it tries to raise the battery to the absorb Voltage with the dump load pulling it down.

I'm not sure how the Rutland controller works, so it's difficult to say whether or not the above scenario will affect you or not.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

taks avatar image taks commented ยท

Thanks heaps Wkirby,

In a worse case scenario, what is the impact of the above?

The Rutland controller trying to dump 50A from the PV array? what happens then? (doesn;t sound great!!!)

Cheers

-T

0 Likes 0 ยท