question

jakecloss avatar image
jakecloss asked

Generator start stop conditions

I recently ran my generator out of diesel and to make things worse my victron easysolar box tried to restart it several times, it took a long time to get the generator to start again after refueling, loads of air trapped.

Is there any way to set maximum total run time,

Example, my generator uses about 1L diesel an hour and the tank is 30L so I would ideally like the generator to not be able to run after say 20 hours of run time, then refuel and reset timer.

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @Jakecloss. I assume you’re using an assistant to control the generator?

I highly favor the GX device as a generator control as it offers a wealth of options wrt to controlling a genset. Have a look at that option, it does not have a configurable max runtime but you could set up quiet hours where a different set of conditions could prevent it running too long. @mvader (Victron Energy Staff) would be able to advise whether it’s possible to add a max runtime parameter on the GX device’ generator control function. Future update maybe?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi both; ehm.. would adding that make us sell more inverter/chargers?

A bit of a joke ofcourse; my comment there. But not entirely: this generator start/stop can be a never ending story wrt more settings and features that are nice, but serve only a very small group of users. Is the described setup a common one to have? Ie. one that requires a non-self resetting timer which makes for the generator to not be started again until the user tells the system that he has done whatever it is whats needed, by manually resetting the timer?

If it where me, I'd install some other AC driven clock, probably mechanical, that has the same effect.

Nevertheless, @Jakecloss, sorry to hear about your generator being ran dry for a while!

2 |3000

jakecloss avatar image
jakecloss answered ·

I have a colour controller and as you say it has a great bunch of options, but the option for maximum run time does seem like quite a necessary option to me as I am to busy to be checking the vrm all the time and i am not always aware of when the generator has been running as I am at work all day.

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Hi Jake,

Any way you look at it, if you leave your generator unattended it will eventually run out of fuel...

Maybe look at some sort of low fuel cut off device?

https://www.energylogic.com/accessories/low-fuel-cutoff2/

0 Likes 0 ·
Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I like that option!

0 Likes 0 ·
benm avatar image
benm answered ·

I probably solution for your problem is to install a tankempty sensor. If your tank is empty have your startsignal disconnected, and a message send to your phone that you need to refill your tank.

A timer inside the GX, is prove to fail because you need to reset manual after refill.

2 |3000