question

tom-h avatar image
tom-h asked

Generator start stop

Hey guys, can anyone help with generator start stop settings, I have an off grid system, Quattro 10000 48v, no solar yet, 20 x Victron 165ah AGMs, what’s the best way to start and stop the gen (10kva) currently I have it set at 47v cut in and cut about after absorption cycle has finnished, I have ground the charge percentage hit and miss, many thanks

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @Tom h. I guess the way you control your generator entirely depends on what you want to achieve. For example, do you only want it to act on battery conditions, or maybe switch on when the load exceeds a certain value?

If you have a GX device, I would strongly suggest you try the generator stop start function on that device, as it has many options and conditions you can choose from and it’s very easy to make changes.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tom-h avatar image
tom-h answered ·

Thanks for the quick response, unfortunately all the customer has is the Quattro controlling the generator from the configurable relay, I have set the cut in for loads over 3 kw and cut out under 1.5kw for 1 minute for household loads such as kettle/washing machine. What I’m trying to achieve is optimum run time of the generator (to save diesel and service costs) and battery life longevity. I have found the charge state percentage very hit and miss i.e if I program the gen to cut in at 50% charge it sometimes runs the battery’s down to 40volts,

Many thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan commented ·

In that case rather use battery voltage instead of SOC, as I believe the SOC calc is not accurate at this point. Maybe let it start a little sooner, cycling AGM to 47V means that it cycles nice and deep which won’t help battery life. The reality is that without an additional power source, all of the energy used eventually comes from the generator, either directly or via the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·