question

bweengmmachine avatar image
bweengmmachine asked

Current Limiting on Quattro 24 Volt 5kVa Inverter Charger cycles between inverter and Charger.

Hi all,

I have the following system,

BMV 700 battery monitor

1 x digital quatrro control panel

1x Quattro 24 Volt 5kVa

2 x Batteries 220 AH AGM

3 x 24 Volt 320 Watt

1 x Solar Charge controller MPPT 100/50 €170

I have installed the above and up to the last few weeks I have been totally operational on solar alone, but because of the short days i have had to rely on shore power.

I'm looking to replace my shore power connection to a generator input through the same shore power connection/plug ,Ac1 on the inverter/charger. With doning this the quattro charger seems to charge for a a period of about 20 seconds but then switches back to inverter and continues to cycle like this.

I assumed that the issue was with the current limitation so I adjusted this to 8 amps using the digital quatrro control panel and instruction from the manual but it continues the same cycle. I also noticed that the charging amps on the BMV did not change with the change of the current limiting which I expected it to.

Can anyone see anything I have missed here?

Regards

Thomas

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @Bweengmmachine, I think you just need to change a few settings to accept the generator input. Read this: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bweengmmachine avatar image bweengmmachine commented ·

Hi @Murraynated thanks for the reply much appreciated.

I think the issue may be the generator i'm using as it is of unknown quality and the power being supplied could be noisy at best.

I have not used VEConfigure before, what do i need to connect to the quattro?

I do use the victron connect app through Bluetooth to connect to the BMV and solar controller but that is it.

Regards

Thomas

0 Likes 0 ·
Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan bweengmmachine commented ·

Hi Thomas. You’ll only need a MK3 to USB cable, an RJ45 to connect the MK3 to your quattro and download veconfig from the Victron website. Once connected, you’ll need to look at ac input current limit (depending on generator sometimes as little as half of what the generator is rated at)

You’ll also need to disable UPS mode, and enable dynamic current limited. On the grid code selection page, choose “none / dc to grid not allowed” option. That should work with most generators

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Thomas.

All generators aren't created equal, and your Quattro (or Multi) is particular about what power quality it will accept. This isn't uncommon, and when it happens you'll hear the relays in the Quattro click loudly as it rejects & tries again. If this is your issue, look here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

Remember too that the Amps set in the controller are AC on the input (230V?), so 8A = 1840W. The BMV's Amps are at your batt's nominal 24V, and should never reach the equivalent of that power for the batts you've listed. Hence you wouldn't notice the charge change, because still within the set input limits.

You could try to go lower with input A, but there's a minimum applicable. It should default to that, but I could look it up for you if it's an issue, so ask if you need (supply the full model No on the front panel). But I don't think this is your issue. Check that 'rejection' thing first.

And oh, don't feel too bad, you're not alone..

Edit/: Beaten by MN, but left up unaltered.

1 comment
2 |3000

bweengmmachine avatar image bweengmmachine commented ·

Hi @JohnC

thanks for the reply.

I am assuming that the issue is the generator as its is not of the best quality.

I think the voltage is fluctuation a lot as the 24V light brightness is alternating bright and dim as the generator is on. So the input can't be very well regulated.

I assumed that when you restrict the input current it would throttle back the charging current also but you reckon this is not the case?

I will get the exact model number and return to see what the minimum current limit is for this genrator.

Thanks again

0 Likes 0 ·
bweengmmachine avatar image
bweengmmachine answered ·

Also what generator are people suggesting for use with the Quattro?

Can I limit the charge current?

1 comment
2 |3000

Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan commented ·

I would’ try anything less than an 8KVA for trouble free operation. You could get a smaller generator to work, but will need to manage your loads and ac input current carefully. Remember when accepting a generator, the load is transferred to the generator and the unit will try charge the batteries from it

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic