question

markus avatar image
markus asked

International Yachting With Multiplus - Local Grid Regulations

I am actually in a learning process, regarding national grid regulations and configuring Victron Equipment matching those.

Now I have the hypothetical case, that a MultiPlus is going to be installed in a yacht cruising internationally. As an installer, do I have to prepare the Installation matching every eventuality or is it just fine, matching the national regulations of the country, where the vessel is registered?

This is also interesting for "world traveler" RV applications.

I know that real life is not just theory, but is there a common practice or an international regulation?

It would sometimes be just practical in my opinion, to have an option allowing the Multi to be grid neutral, I mean instead of supporting the Grid in Power Assist mode, taking the load completely and opening the back feed relay?

Sorry for my dump question, but as I am in a learning process, this is interesting to me.

Can someone please de-mystify this for me?

Thank you,

Markus

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Also in Germany/Austria or such any Multi can be plugged into the grid without any extra devices.

ONLY when the system is setup for feeding/solar power, then there is a gridcode/anti-islanding device needed. As you have a moving system (boat/rv or such) this feeding to the grid is not used so for you this grid code/antiislanding is not relevant.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

This is a new information to me. It is very hard to have the correct informations available here. But I have to tell, there is some false information going around here, if it is like you say. I don't want to put you in question, but it was told me so, more than once...

0 Likes 0 ·
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

Well it is as i said, Perhaps installers in the solar industry are used to talk about these regulations and presume that for all markets. But that's not the case.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you very much!

0 Likes 0 ·
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

In general the system you set up needs to comply to the regional regulations (for you safety ) and can then be used in other area's as well. However this only goes for systems that use power from the grid and specifically do not send power into the grid (as some solar systems do). In these cases you need to comply to the specific regulation in the area you are. As we advise not to inject solar power into a grid when having a boat/ RV or something else this isnt an issue.

Power Assist is a feature which limits the power you take from the grid, so this can be used wherever you are as well.

4 comments
2 |3000

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you @Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) . This question did come up, as I have learned, I am not allowed to use a MultiPlus in Austria and Germany (and maybe other countries), connecting to grid without extra anti islanding protection.

I was interested in why this is like that and was told, this is because of Power Assist feature supporting the grid and so its batteries are paralleled to the grid through the inverter, while Power Assist is engaging, not sure if this is correct by the way.

If some local rules makes sense or not, is unfortunately nothing worth to be discussed. :o(

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

I have heard a similar story, and a work-around in the language that made sense to the local energy company was to describe the Victron Equipment as part of a UPS, and not as a Grid Interactive inverter.

Grid Interactive Inverters have many addition restrictions, requirements and typically approvals (that Victron Equipment can usually comply with).

UPS equipment is often treated differently (easier) from a legal and compliance perspective, despite being functionally identical for these purposes.

As Johannes mentioned, mostly problems arise when you try and feed-back.

1 Like 1 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you Guy, this is a very important and helpful suggestion. Being an installer, knowledge about this, can bring important advantages.

By the way, there were situations I wished, I have been able to tear down Marinas Grid Power by overloading it, to disable those partyheads partying too hard on some other boat. :o) Just with a smartphone, out of bed. This could be added as a feature to the shore Power Limit setting in Venus. ...just joking as usual. ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ markus ♦♦ commented ·

As long as when they approach your vessel while everyone is in the dark, and you still playing classical music through the PA speaker system that you tell them it is powered by Victron Equipment.

(....also j/k).

1 Like 1 ·