question

james-styan avatar image
james-styan asked

Farm Mini grid

Hi there,

I have a couple of systems up and running On my farm.
in the first location I’ve got a 3 phase system- 10kwp solar 3 x 8kva Quattro with 30kwh of LFP batteries. This also has a 16a mains supply.
in the second location I’ve got a 8kw Quattro with 6kwp of solar and 12kwh of FLA batteries with no mains supply.

they are about 800m apart.
we are planning on having a cabin around half way in between the two systems.
I'm currently thinking that I will get another Quattro for the cabin with another battery bank.
what I would really like to be able to do is send power between all 3 systems (possibly at 1000v) and hopefully get away without having any solar at the cabin and be able to better utilise my suplus.
and also have the limited mains supply to fall back on

I’ve been studying the different hub systems and have not really found anything that fits my situation.
has anyone got any ideas or examples of what is possible to do

Cheers, James

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

@james-styan

At the distances you're looking at, I think its going to be expensive either way:

1) Cost of cable at suitable diameter

2) Trenching and installation cost

3) Transformers cost if going 1kV

3) Engineering cost - higher if 1kV

vs putting in solar at the cabin

And then you have to consider how you're going to tap into the two feeds at the cabin - a break before make transfer switch that is timed/controlled to alternate drawing power from both locations...?

Depending on your load at the cabin, the feeds don't necessarily have to handle the peak load current as long as your Quattro at cabin have enough battery to time average it out.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.