question

woody avatar image
woody asked

DC-DC Converter or BuckBoost

Hi All,

Need a little advise before purchasing one of the above...

I have just bought a VW Caddy with a Euro 6 engine and alternator, my plan is to convery it to a camper with a multiplus and solar/mppt fitted. I have some Victron AGM Battries (2x 60Ah in parallel) and want to be able to charge them from the altrnator when driving.

Being a euro 6, do I have to use a BuckBoost? Or as I'm using AGM, can I use a Orion-Tr DC-DC Converter?

Thanks

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

@woody The Orion TR Smart offers more options for DC to DC charging and protects your alternator from over charging and burning up ( compatpred to a start buck converter). It is limited to 30 amp draw from a 12 volt alternator system or 15 amps for a 12to24volt charging system. Both about 400 watts of charging.

If you need more charging amps you and upgrade to a Victron Buck Boost DC to DC charger and have a fully programable charger, but check with your car manufacture if it limits the output of the main alternator. MB limits Sprinter alternators to 40 amp output in a 12 volt system so in this case the lower cost Orion TR Smart may make better financial sense.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tim Mead avatar image
Tim Mead answered ·

Hi Tom, do you know if there are plans for a DC-DC converter with a VE.Direct interface? It’d be great to integrate all charging systems with the Cerbo GX.

2 |3000