question

Willem Oosthuizen avatar image
Willem Oosthuizen asked

Phoenix Smart IP43 Charger Dual 12v for 24v Battery Bank

Good Day All you incredibly helpful people

I have a strange question and am hoping someone more knowledgeable can help. (Obviously)

We have Wireless internet service provider type high sites that run on 24v DC. We use 6 x 12v 100Ah AGM batteries for various reasons. 3x in Parallel with x 2 to get 24v

One thing we have noticed is that the the two banks over time end up slightly out of sync and as we all know thats bad. I have been toying with the idea of the Battery balancers but then ran into the IP43 charger with this Multiple 12v outputs. This is great as each output will charge the 12v to where it should be and as I understand it should be a very neat solution rather than having to go through the process of the Balancers.

Now to the actual question: "The IP43 charger seems to have a common negative. This blows my idea out the water. Is there a way to do what i am trying to achieve here or should I
A - Check myself into the Looney Bin, or
B - Move on and just use the 24v Charger with a balancer"

Any (Constructive) input will be greatly appreciated.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Willem Oosthuizen

The multi-output chargers are indeed not suitable for this.

you could use two 12v chargers, but when one doesn't charge, the connected loads can run one of the battery sections much too empty without knowing this.

A battery balancer would probably be the best solution, but do install it while the batteries are still good, once one is bad, no balancer can keep up with it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic