question

stu0468 avatar image
stu0468 asked

Which Victron battery charger would be recommended for my 12V Van system?

Hello,

I have 3 x 12V FXH140-12IFR Yuasa batteries in my camper van as a 12V system. They require 13.65V float charge @ 16.46A limit.

Please can you recommend one of the Victron Blue Smart chargers?

Thanks,

Stuart

charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

@stu0468, are you in 120v or 230v territory?

0 Likes 0 ·
8 Answers
stu0468 avatar image
stu0468 answered ·

230volt 50h here Justin

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@stu0468, 230v is out of my area of expertise (I'm in 120v land) but it looks to me as though a Blue Smart IP22 charger in 12v/15A/3 output would work well for you... the float voltage in standard mode is high, but if it's in Li-Ion mode it brings it right down into your acceptable range.

Here's the datasheet:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Blue-Smart-IP22-Charger-180-265-VAC-EN.pdf

4 comments
2 |3000

David avatar image David commented ·

I would say a 15A charger is pretty undersized for a battery bank of 3 x164Ah.

I don't know if there is some confusion, but the 15A 3 Output charger is not 15A per output, it is 15A in total. I don't think getting a 3 Output charger and connecting output to each battery is the best way either. a single output charger connected to the +12V feed point on the Bank makes more sense, as would a charger in the realm of around 50A or at least 30A.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ David commented ·

Yes, see above, the OP's system can handle a max total charge current of 16.xxA, thus why I recommended the 15A charger.

0 Likes 0 ·
David avatar image David Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Just because the OP has misinterpreted the charging limits of their battery bank (note battery BANK, not battery), it does not mean advice given should further exacerbate that situation.

A 15A charger will work, but it will not not provide a optimum charge for either the user OR the battery manfacturers specifications.

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image adev David commented ·

Yes this. As others have pointed out the 16a “limit” is per single battery. Three batteries in parallel will triple that “limit” for charging, or triple the charge time of charging at 16a which is likely to cause issues on the consumption side of things unless most of the capacity is meant as reserve for some reason.

0 Likes 0 ·
stu0468 avatar image
stu0468 answered ·

How would I connect the 3 outputs to a parallel connected battery system?
how can I find the power output of the chargers?

Thanks for your help.

1 comment
2 |3000

Well it's available in single-output as well, but the three outputs would just each connect to a battery. The output info is on the datasheet I linked below, or you can just get the info on Victron's website at www.victronenergy.com

0 Likes 0 ·
stu0468 avatar image
stu0468 answered ·

How can I find the power output of a charger? It’s not listed on the data sheet?

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@stu0468, the output (charge current) is on the datasheet, second line down the chart, labeled "charge current, normal mode"

2 |3000

stu0468 avatar image
stu0468 answered ·

Yes but what about the power?

1 comment
2 |3000

Do you mean voltage? Or? Charge current is power output... voltage settings are also listed on the datasheet.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Stu, Might be best to clarify your question a little (well, a lot).

The 16.46A limit is for 'each' of those batts, so your 3x in parallel is now 49.38A. Unsurprisingly, that's a nominal figure for their 164.6Ah (20C) capacity. That 0.1C is typical for a vrla batt to stay safe from boiling off water. But not necessarily cast-in-stone.

In another question you asked, you were considering a 75/15 mppt (15A) and a Multi 12/500 (which can also charge from mains @ 20A).

If you stepped up to a 12/800 Multi, that's now 35A, and a 12/1200 Multi is 50A of charge capacity.

You'd essentially be doubling-up with a separate mains charger. Sure the bigger Multi's cost more, but you also get more inverter grunt. And don't underestimate the value of a bigger inverter.

With respect, best give us the full story..

2 |3000

stu0468 avatar image
stu0468 answered ·

Chaps, the penny finally dropped today.... Like I said I have 3 x 12V 164Ah batteries connected in parallel that need 16ish Amps each to charge.

What I have just realised today is that the most current I can put into my battery system is 16.46Amps and not 16.46Amps x 3 regardless of the number of batteries connected in parallel.

So basically to recharge my battery system will take me 3 times longer than if I only had one battery on the charger.

Sorry to have pestered you all.

Cheers

Stuart

7 comments
2 |3000

@stu0468, I stand by my original recommendation, though, as this is what I had understood to be the case from your original post. The IP22 12/15 in 1 or 3 output would still do you well. Slow, but well.

0 Likes 0 ·
stu0468 avatar image stu0468 Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

I agree too.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

I'm still curious. What's the reason for this (very closely defined) 16.46A limit?

0 Likes 0 ·
stu0468 avatar image stu0468 JohnC ♦ commented ·

The current limit is what’s recommended by the manufacturer. That’s all.
ive ordered the IP67 blue smart 12/17 charger yesterday. I’ll see how I get on.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ stu0468 commented ·

That's for 1x batt. 3x paralleled is 3x Amps.

0 Likes 0 ·
stu0468 avatar image stu0468 JohnC ♦ commented ·

Yes but if I put in 3xamps depending on the internal battery impedance the current won’t be shared equally

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ stu0468 commented ·

Yeh, nor will the loads. So you're going to limit them too?

If you have imbalance at all, even with a slow charge, you'll soon know. They'll fail, given enough time.

The easiest way to test for imbalance is the 'touch test' for temp. The hot one will be the one doing all the work, and may well be the good one.

I'm no fan of paralleled pb's either, but I say you're overthinking this. To design for failure and put yourself out in the meantime seems strange to me.

But I'm not you. I wish you the best with it though..

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic