question

jornh avatar image
jornh asked

Electrical refit on sailboat

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a little feedback on my electrical refit.
This is my fist electrical project so I'm learning as I go here, and I would appreciate a little input on my plans :)

Long story short, I just bought an old boat where the batteries and the wiring are in dire need of a refit and for now, I'm just trying to piece together the components that I need.
Am I on the right track here?

My fist plans included an Argo FET but due to the different battery chemistries and the launch of the Orion-Tr Smart I changed direction. Yea or nay? :)

This is obviously a high-level design and the negative wiring has only been included close to the batteries to show the connection of the battery monitor.

Best regards,

- Jørn-

Lithium BatteryAGM Batterysystem design
diagram2.png (244.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Jorn. 'Right track'? Proper planning surely is.

That Orion I'd give a tick if that's what you need (& likely do).

But it's very hard to select a range of kit for you remotely, without knowing what you like, desire, dream of, and may not even need if some of your existing kit and wiring is still serviceable.

Take a look at this demo unit (& links). Unlikely you'd need/want it all, but it's out there: https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/06/18/the-victron-van-install/

And given you admit freshness, https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/09/03/wiring-unlimited/

Everyone's system is a little different, and if you can't decide, do your research and/or ask again re specific kit. Fuses/breakers/isolators/etc. all come into it and need consideration for the diy'er. Enjoy the journey.

Nothing quite like 'mucking about on boats'.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jornh avatar image
jornh answered ·

Thank you for your reply, John.

Yes, you are right, there are a lot of different elements to consider.
I'll have a look at the links and hopefully learn a thing or two. Wiring Unlimited looks like a great read :)

Thanks again

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic