question

Dave van Dongen avatar image
Dave van Dongen asked

Not use "Switch as a group" in an ESS configuration

See also https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/3306/cut-off-input-voltage-lower-than-180-volt.html
In a 3 phase system, when the inverters reject the incoming grid power, they now all switch to inverting mode. But because only 1 phase is really bad, I would like only that inverter to switch to inverting and the others can remain pass-through. So I switch off the "Switch as a group" option, but now I found that now I cannot run an ESS configuration on the system... :-(
Any ideas on how to have "Switch as a group" disabled and run a 3 phase system in a UPS style operation. (Backup for grid failure. To replace a diesel generator.) We also have DC-connected PV, via 2 * MPPT 250/60 and we want to feed back the excess PV power back into the grid when the battery is full.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Dave van Dongen avatar image Dave van Dongen commented ·

Should I run Hub 1 policy 2 (Keep batteries charged) instead of ESS as a workaround this issue?

Then the question also becomes: Can I disable "Switch as a group" remotely?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Dave van Dongen commented ·

Is it essential to run this as a synchronised 3 phase system? Could you just use them as 3 individual inverters on each of the 3 Ac inputs?

0 Likes 0 ·
Dave van Dongen avatar image Dave van Dongen Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

I don't have any 3 phase loads, just a house full of loads that are distributed over the 3 phases, so I guess I don't need it to be a synchronized system. What you are saying is that I just configure the 3 inverters seperately, without using the VE.Bus Configure? And just run a seperate ESS assistant on each inverter? Do I take out the VE.Bus connection cables between the inverters or do I just leave them in? Any other things to consider? And important question: Can I undo the synchronized 3 phase system configuration remotely...!?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi GreenTecSense,

I have got a bit more information about this case.

While removing the 3 phase configuration would allow for the behaviour you want, the downside of three individual inverters is that would require three Venus-devices.

It is not possible to run and ESS system without switching as a group.

Hub2 is no longer officially supported.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ok, I understand. Well, buying another 2 Venus's might not be the biggest problem. But how to connect everything correctly? I have 2 times 250/60 MPPT's with 10 solar panels each. To which Venus-device would I connect the 2 MPPT's and would the PV power now be evenly distributed? I am more and more inclined to investigate Hub 1 Policy 2. (Keep batteries charged) What would be the impact of it not being supported? As long as it runs, it runs, just like al systems currently still running with the old Hub policies...
0 Likes 0 ·
Dave van Dongen avatar image
Dave van Dongen answered ·

Important question: Can I undo the synchronized 3 phase system configuration remotely...!?

1 comment
2 |3000

Ah, I found it. Yes, I can undo the synchronized 3 phase system configuration remotely with the Remote VE.Config tools available.

-1 Like -1 ·