question

joboo avatar image
joboo asked

100/30 MPPT Ground Screw Clarification

I am ready to finish the installation of the SmartSolar 100/30 MPPT charge controller and am confused as to whether or not I need to use the grounding screw on the controller.

On our trailer, the negative battery lead connects to the chassis. Nothing else connects to the negative battery terminal.

I will wire the controller b+ and b- directly to the battery.

Do I need to use the grounding screw on the controller body to ground it to the chassis?

Grounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Joboo, the short answer is need no, can yes. The vast majority of my mobile installation customers never actually connect the ground screw to anything and the reality is that the controller functions perfectly well; however, there is something to be said for the degree of safety redundancy in having the ground screw connected to chassis. The likelihood of something happening that would make the secondary ground relevant is incredibly slim, but it never hurts to have a second layer of safety in place.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic