question

shane avatar image
shane asked

isolation transformer secondary used as input?

Hey Guys

I have an existing installation whereby i need to install a shorepower direct link to loads.

With regards to Isolation transformer 3600W non-auto, output jumper set to 230V:

If i supply the secondary side with 230V, will i get 120V on the primary? Or does the internal circuitary prevent the flow in that direction?

Many thanks

Isolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

Is there any reason why you can't reconfigure the jumpers to go from 230v in and 115v out, using the inputs and outputs as designated in the manual? The jumpers look like they just rearrange the winding connections in series or parallel depending on the required ratio (1:1, 1:2 or 2:1)

Or is your question more about whether the transformer would act to prevent back feed?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

At the input is some soft start electronic and a relay to decrease the inrush current.

If you try to use the output as an input you have 2 problems:

1. you don't have a soft start -> high inrush current

2. the relay on the real input will not close -> no "output"

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic