question

Les Rollins avatar image
Les Rollins asked

Can the ups feature on a victron multiplus inverter charger be changed to accept dirty electricity

Can you alter the ups configuration in a victron multiplus inverter charger 12/3000/120 to accept or iron out dirty electricity from a generator and if so how please

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @LesRollins,

Some of the steps you can take to work with varying grades of generator power supply are explained here in the MultiPlus Generator FAQ

None of those settings for the MultiPlus Inverter Charger will 'iron' out a bad supply though. It will either be accepted (and passed through to the loads) or rejected.

An option to 'iron' out a bad AC supply is to use a seperate charger, such as a Skylla, and have that connected to the DC bus. They have a very wide tolerance of generator supplies.

Then the batteries get charged from the generator, and the inverter supplies clean power to the loads.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Les Rollins avatar image
Les Rollins answered ·

Hi@Guy Stewart the charger system is working fine off the generator. I disabled the charger in the charger inverter and the washing machine still kept going on and off. I attached a honda eu20i to the inverter charger and that worked well but it was working at its max slightly to small. The washing machine works perfectly straight from the kipor 6.7kva but not through the inverter charger. I have read your link regarding generators and found it interesting I've tried all options that I'm personally capable of on the inverter charger but have come to the conclusion that it's just not going to accept the electricity from the kipor 6.7kva

2 |3000