question

Michael Schmidt avatar image
Michael Schmidt asked

Multiplus II 48/5000 Charging Power limited?

Hello,

im using a new Multiplus II with ccgx EM24 and a 50kwh LiFePo4.

I noticed that the Multiplus 2 is not exceeding 62-63Amp Charging Power.
This is more than 12% les than in Specifications!?

Has anybody else this Problem?

Of course 70A Limit is set in VEconfig 3.

best regards

Michael

Multiplus-II
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi,

Could you please post the settings from VEConfigure?

You can do so by selecting file, export and then copy pasting here.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Schmidt avatar image Michael Schmidt Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi,

of Course.

REGISTERKARTE: Allgemeines
Systemfrequenz50Hz
Landstrom50.0A
Fernbed. hat Vorranggeprüft
Dynamische Strombegrenzung ungeprüft
External current sensor connected (see manual)ungeprüft
Ladezustand nach Abschluss der Konstantstromphase95.0%
Batteriekapazität480Ah
Charge efficiency0.95
REGISTERKARTE: Grid
Country / grid code standardGermany:         VDE-AR-N 4105:2018-11, internal NS protection
LOM detection AC input 1Type B (grid code compliant)
rise-in-voltage protection U>253.0V
start network service HF treshold50.20Hz
Use Aux1 as disable FeedIn signalgeprüft
Use a fixed Cos Phi
Filter time for input voltage3.3s
Cos phi at point 11.00
REGISTERKARTE: Wechselrichter
PowerAssistungeprüft
Wechselrichter-Ausgangssp.230V
Wechselrichter DC Abschaltspannung37.20V
Wechselrichter DC Neustartspannung43.60V
Schwellwert für Alarm bei DC niedrig43.60V
Do not restart after short-circuit (VDE 4105-2  safety)ungeprüft
Aktivierung AESungeprüft
REGISTERKARTE: Ladegerät
Ladegerät aktivierengeprüft
Schwacher AC-Eingangungeprüft
Stop after excessive bulkungeprüft
Lithium batteriesgeprüft
Ausgleichsfunktion verwenden (Röhrenplatten-Traktions-Batteriekurve)ungeprüft
LadekurveVoreingestellt
Konstantspannung56.80V
Erhaltungsspannung54.00V
Ladestrom70A
Wiederh. Konstantspannungszeit1.00Stunden
Intervall wiederk. Konstantspannungsphase7.00Tage
Konstantspannungszeit1Stunden
REGISTERKARTE: Virtueller Schalter
REGISTERKARTE: Verwendung
Verwendung des
virtuellen SchaltersVS nicht verwenden
REGISTERKARTE: Assistenten
REGISTERKARTE: Assistenten-Konfiguration
ESS (Energiespeicherungs-System) (Größe:1019)
*)System verwendet LiFePo4 Batterien mit einem Zwei-Signal-BMS.
*)Die Batteriekapazität des Systems beträgt 480 Ah.
*)Sustain-Spannung 48.00 V.
*)Die Batterie ist voll, wenn der Zusatzeingang 1 geschlossen ist und
die Batterie ist leer, wenn der Zusatzeingang 2 geschlossen ist.
*)Erhaltungsladungsphase erzwingen, wenn BMS angibt, dass Batterie voll und in 
Funktion "nur Ladegerät" umschalten, wenn BMS angibt, dass Batterie leer.
*)Abschalt-Spannung für einen Entladestrom von:
0,005 C= 50.00 V
0,25 C= 48.00 V
0,7 C= 47.20 V
2 C= 46.00 V
*)Wechselrichten wieder zulassen, wenn die Spannung 1.20 V über Cut-off(0) liegt.
*)Relevante VEConfig-Einstellungen:
  -  Batteriekapazität 940 Ah.
  -  PowerAssist nicht ausgewählt
  -  Lithium-Batterien ausgewählt
  -  Dynamische Strombegrenzung nicht ausgewählt
  -  Lagerungsmodus nicht ausgewählt

Die Gesamtgröße aller Assistenten einschließlich der 
erforderlichen (versteckten) Systemassistenten beträgt: 1078

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
Tom Büschgens avatar image
Tom Büschgens answered ·

Well, what you can see that in the VRM portal e.g. the MP2 draws up to 4000W, charging the battery with approx 3400W.

And whether that is an coincidence or not: If you divide the 3400W pushed in the batts by 48V (nominal voltage), you'll get 70A exactly...

I have yet to see an MP2 that shows 70A in the VRM portal...

bildschirmfoto-2022-11-13-um-113925.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Depending on the temperature it will throttle back the charge power.

2 comments
2 |3000

Michael Schmidt avatar image Michael Schmidt commented ·

But it is never reaching 70A. So if i start with gridpoint 10kw the multiplus starts charging and reaches in seconds 62Amp. Some later the cooling fan starts.

but it says all time at around 62Amp.

Temperature is around 15 degrees in the technics room.

So are you sure that this is the reason?
will your multiplus reach 70A? And under wich conditions?

best regards

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Michael Schmidt commented ·

there are few other reasons for reduced charging power: DC voltage too high, ripple on the DC line, limited current on AC IN. But usualy is temperature or ripple.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Michael Schmidt,

The most likely cause of loss of maximum charge power is enabling the Weak AC setting in the Charger Tab of VEConfigure.

" Schwacher AC-Eingangungeprüf "

There is more explanation about why this is the case here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq#derating_of_the_power_factor

It is recommended to try disabling the Weak AC input setting in the Charger Tab, and trying to improve the AC supply quality if you want to increase charge power. However, be aware this may result in no charging at all.

3 comments
2 |3000

Michael Schmidt avatar image Michael Schmidt commented ·

Hi,

the weak AC is already unchecked in the VEconfig3.

the translation seems to be a little unpricise.

do you mean i should try to activate?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Michael Schmidt commented ·

No, it must be a mistake in translation.

It should be disabled, Weak AC unticked.

So the issue is elsewhere. Is the system on VRM for a closer look?

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Schmidt avatar image Michael Schmidt Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes the system is in VRM Portal.

what do you need for checking?

0 Likes 0 ·
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

I have this exact behavior. Roughly a maximum of 60-63A DC charging, even before the fan spins up on my 48/5000.

For reference, on my 48/15000, which is specified at 200A, I get about 190A for a couple of minutes before it throttles smoothly down to ~160A.

I basically never get the rated spec on either unit.

2 |3000

-rob avatar image
-rob answered ·

I have the same problem and have not found an answer yet. Any progress, yet? Help or a hint would be very much apreciated.

2 |3000

-rob avatar image
-rob answered ·

Hi Tom,

thanks for the reply. I tried to check my setup based on your hint. I compared the smart shunt read-outs (which ought to be the "single source of truth") with the portal. The values are identical. So, where did you take the second screenshot?

In addition I would like to mention an odd observation. Using a different fan impacts power. Connecting a lower powered fan reduces charging power immediately (i.e. without a change in the operating temperature of the MP). Reconnecting the original fan restores the power level.

Kind regards

Rob

4 comments
2 |3000

Tom Büschgens avatar image Tom Büschgens commented ·
Hi Rob,

I do not have a shunt, the Watt-values in the VRM screenshot are provided by the MP2 and the BMS (I have an JDB BMS which I use via dbus-serial-battery in my Victron setup).

And: It is only "one" Screenshot from the VRM.

I added the MP2 values via "Settings" -> "System Setup" -> "Battery measurements". In my menu I see the BMS and the MP2 there and chose both to be displayed in the VRM.

And thanks for the hint with the fan. Since my setup is located in a cellar room I did not care to replace the noisy fan.

Best,

Tom

0 Likes 0 ·
-rob avatar image -rob Tom Büschgens commented ·
Got it. So you are monitoring the battery with the MP II. This might be a silly question but I still dare ask it: Are we sure, that the 3.954 W in your VRM refers to the DC side? Or rather AC input?

I still find it very strange since 2 independent measuring devices in my setup (Smart Shunt and JK BMS) measure the exact same power and current. And, as I said, the Smart Shunt MUST be accurate. 70 amps should be delivered with respect to the charging voltage. Even supposing that the 70 amps only refer to the nominal voltage of 48V, I do not see that current level when the battery is at its nominal level of 48 V.

If you are correct, I would be curious as to know why Victron shows currents in the VRM portal that are so far off?

Kind regards,

Rob

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom Büschgens avatar image Tom Büschgens -rob commented ·
Hi Rob,

nope, I use the BMS + additional software to monitor the battery and calculate the charging / discharging limits.

The values of the MP2 are only shown as a reference and because they are available.

Your point about DC side / AC input side is correct - would need to check with the clamp ampermeter, I guess. Never did that so far.

But anyways: Would love to hear an official statement from Victron about that one if our assumptions about "nominal voltage etc" is correct.

Best,

Tom

0 Likes 0 ·
-rob avatar image -rob Tom Büschgens commented ·
I stand corrected:

2022-11-15-13-59-28-home-vrm-portal-mozilla-firefo.png

0 Likes 0 ·
iand avatar image
iand answered ·

I had a similar conversation with the guy who's building my boat, who has done *lots* of installations, mainly Quattro 48/10000 which is rated at 140A charging current (7kW). He says that he's never seen this even when the unit is cool and in a cold environment, current in the low 120s (>6kW) is the best he's seen.

2 |3000