question

dr-mark-jones avatar image
dr-mark-jones asked

Multiplus inverter not running

Having been running fine for a number of years, the inverter side of my multiplus has shut down and I can not get it to stay on. If I power off and power on it comes on briefly and then turns off again. The charge side is all fine. Any hints welcome!

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Hi Dr.

It does sound like your battery is discharged.

What battery voltages? Battery chemistry? Battery capacity?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dr-mark-jones answered ·

Thanks for that. There has been a development!

Battery health is good, and it was at about 50% charge.

Then the sun came out, topped up the battery, and later (as needed), the inverter kicked in.... it dropped out when the charge was down to 60%.... In the past in the winter the software has let it fall to around 25% and sub 20% in summer.

So, I am thinking it's a software/firmware issue rather than hardware/battery?

I will keep monitoring....

2 comments
2 |3000

From the current descriptions it is most likely a battery voltage issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
dr-mark-jones avatar image dr-mark-jones Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Guy

Voltage at 60% is 52.6, which looking back is similar to the past values.

Was wondering if it's an algorithm 'issue' to protect battery life given we're not getting much sun lately (and it was fine when we were....).

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Dr Mark Jones, have you checked your inverter low SOC shutdown settings? See attached screenshot from VictronConnect... it's possible that the SOC shutdown values were inadvertently changed at some point, or -perhaps more likely- had been changed and then reverted to default values when you updated your firmware...

multi-low-soc.png (79.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

dr-mark-jones avatar image dr-mark-jones commented ·

Thanks Justin - I will take a look at that....

0 Likes 0 ·
dr-mark-jones answered ·

OK - so this is now resolved - it seems that the latest automatic update to my firmware had activated a 'battery life' algorithm that after a couple of dull days stops the battery discharging "too far" (to about 60%) as it thinks that the next day it won't get much sun to top it up.... clearly, it doesn't know about UK weather! I think I preferred the previous algorithm that, if you haven't had a decent charge for a few days, uses the mains to top up the battery and hence create a full charge/discharge cycle - glad I was right in that it was firmware (easy to fix) rather than hardware (potentially costly).

Thanks for all the comments....

2 |3000