question

hn3574 avatar image
hn3574 asked

Type T fuse temperature

What temperatures are people considering acceptable for fuse blocks and smart shunts for the below setup?

Under the heaviest load of about 130-150 amps my type t fuse can get up to 50C (ambient 35C at the time in the fuse location). The only other thing that gets hot is the shunt, albeit not as hot. I don’t have a temp sensor mounted to the shunt but probably 40 or so. The heat dissapates quickly off of the fuse when load disappears so the cable is doing a good job pulling the heat off. I’ll probably add another ventilation fan near the fuse to cool it better, when I placed a fan blowing on the block it took temps from 45 to 36 quickly enough.

I come from a background where you happily run electronics up to the wire temp range, usually up in 80C but I want to be skeptical with this application in an RV and stay well below the wire rating.

All connections have been tested and the highest voltage drop is .03 volts across the fuse block and .04 across the shunt. All connections are properly torqued, lightly sanded and cleaned with alcohol where high current would flow.

12/3000/120 inverter with 540aH of battery. Mac operating load of 150amps

2/0 cable (105c copper cable)

Blue sea T fuse block

300amp blue sea (little fuse) type t fuse (my only concern with this is the pads were not on the same plane by a couple degrees but once torqued they flattened out well)

fusestemperature
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

Fuses & fuse holders Product Page.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic