question

muem avatar image
muem asked

MPPT 75/10 self-consumption

For MPPT 75/10 are indicated a self-consumption of 20mA on 12V in the data sheet.
But I measured 31mA on a 12V battery without solar panel. That's 50% more! Is that normally?
If not, I would complain to my dealer.
MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@muem, what device are you using to measure 31mA current draw, and where are you taking the measurement, and with what other devices connected to the battery bank?

...if you're measuring with anything other than a Fluke, I wouldn't be too concerned about it; consumer-grade DMMs are frequently irregular/inaccurate below a quarter of an amp.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

muem avatar image
muem answered ·
I measured with a consumer DMM. Now I have measured again with a Metrawatt DMM - with the same result (min: 31,2mA if blue LED off / max: 32,3mA if blue LED on)
It is the battery of my car. The ignition was switched off. The measurement was directly on the MPPT.
voltage before the DMM: 12,56V / voltage after DMM - at MPPT: 11,92V
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@muem, hmmmm so there's a couple things here:

1. If you're measuring 12.56v at the battery and only 11.92v at the controller, then you've got a massive amount of voltage loss between the battery and the controller (very possibly caused by undersized cables and/or loose connections/poor crimps/etc.) that you'll need to address before you can ascertain accurate self-consumption readings.

2. Without having the battery uninstalled from the system, you won't be able to ascertain accurate readings because there are -in any automotive installation- numerous sources of constant but minuscule system loads. Just having the ignition switched off isn't enough, because there is always going to be a tiny draw going to your system computer to maintain time and system memory, your stereo to maintain time and memory, not to mention tiny loads such as LED status lights, underhood lights, etc. If you're truly concerned about measuring 31mA vs 20mA, you'll need to disconnect your battery from the system entirely, then check your wire sizing and all of your connections to figure out why you're getting a massive voltage drop between the battery and the MPPT, and then after that problem has been corrected, re-measure the self-consumption of the MPPT while you have literally nothing else connected to the battery.

2 |3000

muem avatar image
muem answered ·

Oh – it’s a mistake. It’s not the voltage drop across the line to the battery. It’s the voltage drop at the built-in shunt of DMM. Only during the measurement 11,92V are applied at the MPPT. Without DMM the voltage is 12,56V.

2 |3000