question

mattm082 avatar image
mattm082 asked

Multi plus 2 consumption from grid

Hi there i have a , Mulitiplus 2 in ess mode , cerbo gx, vm-3p75ct grid meter

is there a way to zero consumption from grid via ac in from battery

only a.c in and critical loads are wired on multiplus , non critical loads are wired upstream of multiplus

i have set grid setpoint to 200w which works fine when solar pv is active, but will not use battery power to negate grid consumption

2024-07-19-211021.png

Multiplus-II
2024-07-19-211021.png (238.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Mattm082,

If I am understanding you correctly, there is a setting on the GX device in the ESS menu to change “Self-consumption from battery”

To either

• All system loads
  • Only critical loads
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mattm082 avatar image mattm082 commented ·

I have this setting on and have toggled it to be sure screenshot-2024-07-19-220717.png

0 Likes 0 ·

Ok, something else going on then.

Before I can escalate it though the MultiPlus firmware, GX device firmware, energy meter firmware, and ESS assistant versions all need to be brought up to the latest versions.

Once those are done, and if it still persists, please report back with those version numbers, and I’ll ask someone to look at it remotely.

0 Likes 0 ·
mattm082 avatar image mattm082 Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks all updated what do u need

0 Likes 0 ·
dognose avatar image
dognose answered ·

From your screenshot, it looks like the multiplus is at least supporting the AC Loads with ~ 100 Watts.

What type of battery and multiplus do you have?

May it be possible that the current 23.4A is the max this setup could provide, therefore not capable of providing more power to the AC-Loads?

1 comment
2 |3000

muliplus 2 48v 5000 230v - cerbo gx - vm-375ct energy meter - orient power 230AH 11kwh lithium has 200ah pace bms

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Mattm082,

I have another report of a similar case, but before I can escalate it internally the first step is that all Victron products need to be brought up to date with the latest release firmware.

Can you please make sure that your GX device, and MultiPlus are running the latest release firmware (not a beta) and report back?

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks Guy,

Firmwares installed, let me know what you need , thank you

firmware.jpg

Thanks matt

0 Likes 0 ·
firmware.jpg (39.8 KiB)

Hi @Mattm082,

Thanks for updating the firmware.

I had a closer look at your system. There are two potential issues that stand out to me.

Firstly the AC voltage on your MultiPlus is fluctuating up to 5V out of sync with the grid voltage reading from your energy meter.

The only way that I can explain this is that there is a poor electrical connection to the AC input on your Multi, somewhere between the AC input terminals and the AC distribution. That is the first place I would ask a suitability qualified electrician to investigate with properly insulated tools and a thermal camera.

It could be a loose screw, corrosion, undersized cable, damaged circuit breaker, or something else.

cleanshot-2024-07-22-at-183915.jpg

Just for comparison purposes, have a look at my system and see how steady the two AC voltage readings are between the Multi and the Energy meter - almost perfect lock step;

cleanshot-2024-07-22-at-183842.jpg

While I was looking at your VRM I also saw something else, your BMS is imbalanced and giving constant warnings, and even alarms. I don't think this is the main cause here, but it surely is not helping. You need to balance your battery. cleanshot-2024-07-22-at-182809.jpg

cleanshot-2024-07-22-at-182844.jpg

2 |3000