question

hutchinsel avatar image
hutchinsel asked

Micro inverter vs mppt controller for completely off grid boat

OK I have a primarily Victron based power system. 6x200ah LI batteries (12VDC), Lynx BMS, Quattro Inv/charger, 5x mppt controllers, dc-dc charger, battery protect and a Cerbo GX.10x200w solar panels 2(series) per mppt. Having everything in the VRM is great for monitoring.

This is a boat application. We have both AC and DC needs so the Inv/charger is always on. The boat was severely damaged in Hurricane Beryl and I have an option to expand/ change panel layout and some technology- looking to get to 3KW or more solar - likely flexible walk on panels.

Currently we run about a 5% deficit underway due to boat heeling and sail shading. A few more panels would remove that limitation.

The current MPPT solution uses a LOT of heavy (expensive) copper wiring that also is clogging the existing wire paths.

The Quattro is a 5k system. Redoing the design using micro inverters would significantly reduce the wiring cost - has to be redone as the new wire routing will be different - maybe a little longer than the existing design. Having the quattro and cerbo broker the battery charging as opposed to the cerbo and mppt controllers seems to be a wash in capability. Yes w 5 indep mppt's i have lots of redundency as oposed to single threading through the quattro.

I know this update is an expensive solution - the walk on panels are much more than tradional rigid panels, but to get the extra capacity, i need to be able to walk on them to access the main sail on the boom. I prefer to do this right the first time as once we head further afield it needs to work.

I am trying to understand pros/cons before going forward. So what am I missing other than a 24vdc solution vs 12vdc. This is a US spec boat so 110vac as opposed to 220VAC.

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers