question

corn18 avatar image
corn18 asked

MPPT install with wires up

I did this install and was told not to put the wires up. This is an air conditioned space with no exposure to the elements. Makes a much cleaner install in my camper if they are wires up.

dc-wiring-290rl-install.jpg

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Violates IP certification. Air contains moisture, even more relevant with an air conditioner. Do not mount it that way. Water doesn’t flow uphill for a reason.

Wiring for convenience only causes problems.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

corn18 avatar image corn18 commented ·

Where is the water coming from? Just the air?

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ corn18 commented ·

Condensation? Humidity? Leaks?

Take your pick.

Strangely enough, most water us humans encounter originates in the air, the exception possibly being submersible installations.

That is cutting corners, and not best practice nor recommended in any form.

From the manual:

Substrate also appears somewhat flammable.

1 Like 1 ·
img-2121.jpeg (101.2 KiB)
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ corn18 commented ·

...or even just from those two large water lines that run directly through your electrical compartment.

0 Likes 0 ·
corn18 avatar image
corn18 answered ·

I flipped them. img-5957.jpg

img-5957.jpg (3.4 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

@corn18 I replaced a mppt recently that had been mounted USD under a light.

Upon inspection it was found to be full of dead bugs. Had maggots wriggling out and smelt awful.

It took a day to scoop, shake, dry, blow the bugs out, and still ended up with a dead mppt.

Where is the water coming from? Just the air?

Water can wick along the inside of the cable's insulation from the solar array if the cabling is not sound.

0 Likes 0 ·