question

kregercajayco avatar image
kregercajayco asked

does Victron MPPT 75/15 controller need an external 12VDC regulator for small appliances?

My setup is a Victron 75/15 MPPT controller, 500A smart shunt, 2 -100W solar panels. Standard 12V 65Amp hr Lead Acid deep cycle. ( i am getting ready to convert to LiFe batteries,dual 100Amp hr and trying to get this little issue nailed ahead of time) and run proper wiring.

I use the V load port from controller to power to a DC Switch, then a V meter, USB ports and Cig outlet. All works well. (Vload Voltage follows battery during charging 12.2 VDC up to 14.2 VDC max)

I have a small HEPA filter that has a DC input (12 V, 1A) but is normally powered with its own AC wall wort. When plugged into DC cig outlet and when V Batt is under 13.4 VDC it runs and works fine. When battery is under Solar charge, it shuts off when V Batt > 13.4 VDC. Ie overvoltage. I think I now have to add a regulator to condition the Vout to handle the VDC fluctations out of the Vload port when Solar is charging and Battery is in Bulk charge. Agreed?

Anyone else need to do this with a Victron controller? is there a way to clamp the Vload to closer to 12VDC without the over voltage during charge?

I think same with my house TV that I removed the wall wort from and powering with same DC out of battery. (12V,4.5AMp) Display flickers a little when V<12VDC or higher than about 13.6VDC.

I think these appliances are used to perfect 12V from their own power supply brick.

Comments?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

You could set the settings in the MPPT to max. 13.4V, but then the battery might not become full.

Better would be to install an e.g. Orion DC/DC converter for the sensitive loads. There are some versions, starting with a 12V/9A that might be enough.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.