question

blond2silver avatar image
blond2silver asked

What is the benefit of DVCC with batteries with inbuilt BMS eg Battleborn?

Hello,

I have installed a CCGX, Multi 12/3000, BMS-712, MPPT 150/85 with 4 Battleborn 100Ah in parallel. The solar array is 1200 watts. I am up on VRM just fine, the VE.Bus and Direct bus connections are all settled. During the day, the The system is off grid, but I do plug into shore power as the system is installed in a RV 5th wheel. and is functioning as expected - except I have an intermittent cooling fan in the Multi, but that's a separate topic. Anyways, would it even make sense to turn on DVCC, and if so, what would be the benefit in that the Battleborn batteries each have their own internal BMS?

Thanks....

DVCC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

One advantage of DVCC in this configuration would be to limit a potential over-current situation.

For example, you have system wiring and fuses rated for 125A. It's a cloudy day, the batteries were flat, so you connected them into shore power, and they take 100A from the grid.

Then the sun comes out from behind the clouds, and your MPPT produces 60A. Now you have 160A of charge current potentially, and you might blow the fuse.

Enabling DVCC you could specific a system wide limit of 100A, when the sun comes out, the short power connection backs down from 100A to 40A and the MPPT provides 60A from the solar.

If the system is working fine as it is, enjoy!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

blond2silver avatar image blond2silver commented ·

Guy, Thanks as that explanation makes good sense. I have noticed that if I connect to a genset, and the MPPT is still providing enough power to charge, that there is a sum of the genset and MPPT - yeah, was wondering why.

I am also about to attach a temperature sensor from the batteries to the BMV-712 - so that I can monitor battery temp especially during the Winter season.

QUESTION: What would you suggest or recommend setting parameters in DVCC for 80amps max (which the Multi's charge max is setup), as well as temperature if that's possible?

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
blond2silver avatar image
blond2silver answered ·

Question: While I do understand the functionality for changing the battery charge current, for a Battleborn battery bank, would it make sense to enable SVS (shared voltage sense)?

2 |3000

Related Resources