question

redvic avatar image
redvic asked

MPPT does not charge batteries

Can someone please help me understand what is going on with my solar charging system in the boat I have recently acquired?

The problem is the that the batteries do not get charged.
I'm assuming the problem is with the panel or the MPPT or the configuration or the cables...

I'm getting voltage (enough?) but no current. Once the panel has >5V than the battery the MPPT enters bulk mode but it's interrupted a second later.

I have tried switching Load output mode from Battery life to Always on but can see no improvement.

I'm measuring the same voltage on the PV terminals as the app is displaying.

The attached clip and photos context is one where I have had the fridge running for some days which eventually drained the battery.

Hardware:
- Sunbeam Tough 50W
- Victron BlueSolar MPPT 75/15 (firmware v1.64)
- Victron BMV-700
- 4x LiFePO 40Ah

img-7272.png

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
delf67 avatar image
delf67 answered ·

I don't know why it's not charging, but I would say that a new set of batteries would probably be a good starting point.

Taking 12V batteries down to 7V has probably damaged them beyond recovery, especially if it has been done repeatedly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.