question

chiefsen avatar image
chiefsen asked

Argo Diode Battery Isolators-voltage drop-AGM(14,4V) Bat-Charger sett on 14,8V

Hi

I want to instal the Argo diode battery isolator 80-2 SC between the Engine Batery (115AH) and House-Batery (2x110 Ah in Paralel) on a Sailboat.

Charging from an alternator....The compenstaion-diode will increas the output voltage as a compensation for the voltage drop of the Argo diode battery isolator 80-2 SC....so far all clear.

The Sterling Shore-Power charger have no Comp-outputt for the compansation cable. And have only 2 output-settings:

AGM Bateries=14,4 V

Lead Accid=14,8 V

voltage drop of the Argo diode battery isolator 80-2 SC is approximately 0,3 V - 0,45 V.

Is it OK to set the chager on 14,8 V ...and after the diode, there sholuld be 14,4!?!?

Or just be practical...mesure the inputt by each of the settings and then choose.

Thank you.

voltageisolators
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Chiefsen, what Sterling charger do you have? We're a Sterling distributor and every unit I'm aware of has multiple charge profiles including (usually) a custom option.

Other than that, definitely err on the side of caution with your AGMs, but yes, I'd measure your actual output and choose your settings from there.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chiefsen avatar image
chiefsen answered ·

@Justin Cook, its a Sterling 1230 (12V, 30 A) charger. here is a photo. I will measure the output before and after the isolator... before switching to 14,8 V. Thanks.

img-1285.jpg (156.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Ow wow, that's some vintage equipment there, I'm afraid that predates my experience... and I stand corrected about multiple charge profiles! Best to continue as discussed then, and measure your actual output and adjust accordingly.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic