question

PeterM avatar image
PeterM asked

Battery voltage noise seems to vary with temperature

I have 5 KVA Multiplus 1 connected to 340 AH 48 V battery bank. It is connected as a UPS so 99% of the time it is in float mode. The battery voltage according to the Battery Monitor varies randomly about 0.1 V p-p at times and at other times its very stable. When a change from noisy / stable occurs its associated with a temperature change sensed by the battery monitor. See trace attached. It seems battery temperature as shown on VRM traces has a 1 degC temp resolution yet I believe internally it is 0.5 degC as I have seem 16.5 degC on the remote console display. I suspect that when temperature has a xx.5 deg value then the charger is noisy. In graph below voltage is noisy between about 22:00 to 02:17. Temperature dropped from 20 to 19 deg at 02:17

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
victron-volatge.jpg (79.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @merle.peter@gmail.com

that's 0,05V your talking about, nothing to worry about.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

Strange behavior - a lot noisier at "even" temperatures than "odd" temperatures .

2 |3000