question

tommarr avatar image
tommarr asked

Victron Orion XS 50A DC-DC 12V remote on/off question, can it be turned off by +12V input?

Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing an Orion XS 50A DC-DC 12V charger to better charge my leisure bank from my engine battery (via a standard constant 14V alternator) but have a question about the remote on and off feature.

We also have a 240V powered, 60A 12V charger with 3 outputs, one of which is connected to the engine battery and another to the leisure bank. The third is not currently used. The charger is a Cristec CPS2. Each output is capable of providing the full 60A, or it is balanced between the outputs depending on the resistance of each bank.

I know that I could wire the ignition switch from the engine to control the Orion and only turn it on when the engine is running, but my concern is still that if the shore power or generator is turned on whilst the engine is running, the Orion will try and charge the leisure bank utilising the shore charger output connected to the engine battery, whilst the shore charger is already charging the leisure bank on another output. This is my mind ends up in a loop and may not end well. Hopefully that makes sense.

Short question is that I want the Orion to not be able to turn on when the shore power charger is on, irrespective of the engine battery's voltage. For normal use, I'll just programme the Orion to turn when the engine battery reaches over a set voltage (which will be reached via the main engine alternator).

What I would like to understand is can I wire the L switch of the Orion in to the spare 12V output of the shore charger to prevent the Orion turning on when the shore charger is working, even if the engine is on? I can explain further if required, hopefully it all makes sense. Manual extract below.

Thank you,

Tom

img-20240701-171426.jpg

orion xs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers