question

ako avatar image
ako asked

Turning Off MPPT

Is it safe to turn off the MPPT via the Victron Connect app and then disconnect batteries then turn it back on the same way the next day with the panels remaining connected or does the input from the Panels have to be removed first and connected after as manuals always say Charge Controllers should be connected to batteries before panels .

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru answered ·

"Charge controllers should be connected to batteries before panels" because they are multi voltage capable and therefore, when "virgin", they must firstly detect the working/battery voltage before starting to generate power.

Otherwise, hardware wise, once the working voltage is set, I don't see why they can't work without a battery.

More of that, I saw an advertising somewhere where they say that the Victron MPPT can even recover a completely depleted (zero volt) battery, so this info backs up the affirmation above.

If anybody knows otherwise, I will stand corrected, if they can bring an educated/technical explanation of the contrary.

Thanks,

Alex

LE:

Also, "charger enable/disable" is because if you try to disconnect the string panels during production, especially when high power is generated, the DC arcing phenomena is a fire hazard. Therefore you must "power down" the MPPT for reducing the DC current to 0, before working on the installation.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Why do you want to switch of the MPPT?

It make no sense

2 |3000

ako avatar image
ako answered ·

To change batteries an make some changes to the cables also . Is the Charger Enabled on/off toggle option on the Connect app for some other purpose than i want then .

2 |3000