question

jgreen avatar image
jgreen asked

Quattro Inverter gives error 24

Good day VictronEnergy Team,

My VRM Portal ID 102c6b86107d with installation ID 189632.

On June 29, 2022, the installation of my residential Off-Grid Solar Powered split-phase system was completed and brought into operation, and has been working satisfactory since that date until June 28, 2023. The two inverter installed were HQ1231GXXXX (L1) and HQ12316XXXX (L2).

I came home from work (7pm) to find the system not operating with a loud continuous alarm sound. Upon calling the installer, we troubleshoot via video call to reset the inverters & batteries, and the system came back online. All seemed well as the alert logs and performance was back to normal. However, this hopefulness was short lived because on July 04, 2023 I again came home to find the same alarm sound, no power to the premises and the system down. After trying troubleshooting again with the installer, the system failed to restore. We discussed an arrangement to visit premises on July 05, 2023 for inspection and rectifying the incident. On July 05, 2023, the installer came as promised to do work on the system and based on their findings one of the inverters (HQ1231GXXXX) seemed to be malfunctioning and was detached from the installation and taken by the installer. Since then, for about 2 weeks, we corresponded about replacing /restoring the inverter under warranty by the latest end of July 2023. This promise has not been kept and to make matters distasteful and disheartening, the installer has not been answering my calls nor messages since August 2023 to today's date. I am in a state of confusion.

In Feb 2024, in a state of desperation of wanting to restore the system and return to off-grid power supply, I hired 'Tropical RenewableEnergy', a subsidiary of Tropical Battery Company Limited, to do a holistic review of the solar system setup and prescribe a solution to restore same. TRE pre-inspection determined that I should purchase another Quattro (HQ2210FXXXX) to replace the HQ1231GXXXX that has been taken but not returned by the other installer. On March 9, 2024, while TRE was working to bring the system back into operation, the team notice that inverter HQ12316XXXX was not accepting the latest firmware update, while HQ2210FXXXX was accepting the update and was operational ready to be in split phase with HQ12316XXXX. The alarm error the technician was getting from the programming configuration portal was 'error 24: switch-over system protection initiated' ...'Backfeed safety mechanism activated. (The system shut off because an independent safety check mechanism decided that there was a possibility of more than one mains source being switched through at the sametime. This should not occur! Please contact Victron Energy.) It was concluded by the onsite technician that HQ12316XXXX could be defective and malfunction too. My solar system is currently still not operating optimally.

The steps outlined in site link for VE.Bus Error Code, error 24 - 25 and Cerbo GX error 48 were followed by the TRE technician but the situation is still currently not resolved nor a solution proposed by Victron:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:ve.bus_error_codes#error_24_-_switch-over_system_protection_initiated.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/troubleshooting.html#:~:text=GX%20Error%20%2348%20%2D%20DVCC%20with%20incompatible%20firmware

System Setup & device list of Fully Off-Grid: No Grid and No Generator (No Ac in):

Solar Panel Array: 4kW;

Charge controller: 2*MPPT 150|60 - Tr SmartSolar (Firmware v3.15);

Inverter: 2*48v3000VA|35amp Quattro;

Firmware version: 433 -> HQ2210FXXXX Product id 2751;

Firmware version: unknown -> HQ1231GXXXX Product id 2051;

GX: Cerbo + Touch 50 (Firmware v3.33);

Battery: Pylontech 1*US5000 + 2*US3000;

Installer: RadiantEnergyJamaica (Sean Hinds)

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

HQ1231 is almost 12 years old.

The product ID have to be the same, you can't use the old and new unit together.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jgreen avatar image jgreen commented ·

@Matthias Lange - DE Are you allowed to contact me outside of this community ? Possibly remote my vrm & installation.

0 Likes 0 ·