question

blond2silver avatar image
blond2silver asked

Intermittant fan - Multiplus 12/3000

Is the fan a common item, and is it easy to replace? Reason I am asking is that, even though the unit is still in warranty, I don't desire to send in the unit for a simple fan replacement, and not have the use of a critical system component during the turn-around time to replace by Victron. I've logged a support ticket, but have not gotten a response as yet - about 2 days ago.

What is happening is that the cooling fan will not spin unless I manually nudge one of the fan blades to start turning. I haven't had the multiplus for very long (less than 2 months), and began to realize that the fan has never functioned properly. I finally realized this when noticing that the charge time was longer, the charge amperage did not match with the charge amp parameter, and the unit goes into temperature warning when there's a sufficient inverter load (> 1500 watts). When I nudge the fan to start turning, the temperature lite goes out, and when charging I get the max amp as set in parameters.

I can hear a slight clicking sound when the cooling fan does turn, but not always. It doesn't take much of a nudge (plastic tie wrap to slight touch one of the fan blades will get the fan turning.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

blond2silver avatar image blond2silver commented ·

Has anyone replaced the cooling FAN, and if so, is the fan a common part? Or is the fan a special spare part that Victron must provide? It looks to me like just disconnecting AC/DC, and sensor connection, removing the bottom cover plate to gain access to swapping out is how I could gain access to the actual fan being attached to the bottom cover plate?

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @blond2silver

From the information I have, the fan should be this one:

Jamicon JF1238B2HR133-204R. (24V dc 120x120mm)

I have not replaced a fan by myself yet, so I cannot say if it is easy or not.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

blond2silver avatar image blond2silver commented ·

Thanks Daniel - I do have a question. Since this unit is a multiplus 12-3000 (12 volt), is a 24V DC the correct fan? Or would I search Jamicon for a 12V DC fan?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ blond2silver commented ·

Yes I think so, control board drives the fan.

0 Likes 0 ·
robert1508 avatar image robert1508 Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi. i can not find fan as the same model as you described above. can be any fan 120x120 24v will be good for my multi? 24/3000/70? cheers

0 Likes 0 ·
blond2silver answered ·

The latest information is that Victron is sending a replacement fan - hmmmm. Actually, I was hoping that Victron would simply replace the whole Multi as it is certainly still within warranty.

I now have a 24volt replacement fan, and a 12volt DC replacement fan that I ordered myself. Both are 120X120X38mm which looks to be correct. Since this system is 12VDC based, I simply tested each fan for RPM by powering up the 24DC, and it does not rotate near the RPM of the existing cooling fan that came with the Multi. However, the 12DC fan absolutely does. So I'm going to go with the 12VDC fan. Interestly enough, the replacement fan will be quieter than the existing fan that came with the unit :) This weekend, I will take the system down, and open up the Mult - which looks like I'll need to disconnect connections. I'm hoping that by simply removing the screws attaching the end plate where the fan is mounted on will allow the bottom end plate to drop down for an easy fan replacement. It would make sense to me that this is the case from an engineering concept - meaning a electro-mechanical device such as a fan is sure to eventually either need to be cleaned/maintained or replaced. I will certainly post back to share how the remove and replace goes.

2 comments
2 |3000

I'm pretty sure the fan is 24V, as the control board is powered by 24V

I've had a Multi apart last week, and indeed, when you remove all connections, you just have to remove the 4 screws on the sides of the unit, move the bottom plate with the fan down and then out to the front.

0 Likes 0 ·
Bobby avatar image Bobby commented ·

Hi, have you ever end up doing this and taking some pictures?

I have a need to replace the noisy fan.

0 Likes 0 ·
blond2silver answered ·

I swapped out the fan - sure enough, the part in the Multplus 12/3000 is a 24VDC Jamicon JF1238B2HR133-204R. (24V dc 120x120mm). The most difficult part was disconnecting the connections, and splicing the 2pin connector to the replacement fan so that the fan plugs into the main control board's fan header (2 pin on backside of main circuit board). The bottom cover plate is held in place by 4 screws, and upon disconnecting cables, slide out and drops down.What I surmise is that, because the fan is 24vdc, it does spin and a slower albeit quieter RPM. None the less, it was the fan indeed. If ever I would potentially need more cooling, I could swap out the 24VDC fan for a 12VDC fan to get twice the fan RPM, but I don't think it will be neccesary at this time.

I was pleased in the way Victron engineered the placement and relative ease of replacement. I now have a system that can use the max inverter wattage, and the full charge current potential as configured without the system going into temperature warning, and shutdown.

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Thanks for the feedback, posted away in the back of my brain for possible future use. I think you've done right installing the OEM part. My own system is a 5000 Easy with 2x of likely identical fans.

Which I *think* run a variable speed depending on inverter load primarily, but maybe also come on if any overheating. I don't know for sure, but something to consider when you're listening for a fan response. And yes, they're quiet.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
bchetelat avatar image
bchetelat answered ·

Hello guys, I have a newer 2021 MultiPlus 3000 12V and my fan doesn't seem to be working now. I haven't removed it from my testing bench yet and the fan, which was working before seems to have quit. I'm cycling some Lithium batteries and the MultiPlus case is not getting very warm with no fan running. I tried spinning it manually, but no luck. This should not be happening.

2 |3000