question

kenneth avatar image
kenneth asked

Firmware update BMV-712 Smart error

I have some trouble updating Firmware on BMV-712 Smart via Bluetooth.

the errorcode I get is:

"Update failed! Result: #6 The product did not activate its bootloader although it should have"

I have tried with Samsung Galaxy S9+ and iPhone X with same error. Both phones with newest Victron Connect SW

It seems that only the BMV-712 with preinstalled v2.10 has this problem. I have now tried 6 of those with same problem.

Before this I updated 5 pcs BMV-712 with v2.14, and it worked perfect

Anyone have any idea?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @kenneth

Thanks for noticing this, I've forwarded your question to people who know more about this then me.

Did you also try to update the firmware of a device with v2.10 with a USB-ve.net cable and laptop, or through a GX device?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kenneth avatar image
kenneth answered ·

Solved!

I used a short CAT5 cable instead of CAT5e.

Now it works perfect

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Kenneth, I don't follow, you were talking about bluetooth? what cable did you replace? the rj12?

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@kenneth @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff), just as a note in here, I've actually had the same issue with several BMV's... my workaround was to attach a VE.Direct to BT dongle to the head unit, connect to the head and update the device F/W first, then detach the dongle and update the head unit's Bluetooth F/W.

My impression was that the head unit was having difficulty loading the BT F/W update onto the old device F/W... update the device F/W first and the BT F/W can then update properly.

Anecdotal evidence, I know, but I've successfully used this method on 7 different units so far, so I'm feeling pretty good about it as a viable workaround.

2 comments
2 |3000

Thanks for that @Justin Cook

That would imply that using a usb-ve.direct cable would probably also work.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I would certainly expect so... I'll try that method on the next one I see on my test bench that's having the issue, will report back if it doesn't work.

0 Likes 0 ·