question

johnfox123 avatar image
johnfox123 asked

Dual Orion XS in series to achieve 12/24 operation

I just saw a YouTube video where it said you could connect two Orion XS in series to have a 12v alternator charge a 24v battery system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvB3J-ZSJNY, around the 13:30 mark). I've tried searching on this to get more confirmation, but I haven't found anything. Is there Victron documentation where it's stated that this will work?

orion xs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

That's absolutely NOT supported!

Victron is already working on models with selectable input/output voltages (12V or 24V).
They are planed release at the end of this year.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Lord I don't know where some of these salesmen on YouTube come up with the things they say. Either way, definitely don't do that. It won't work and is likely to cause irreparable damage to the Orion XS for sure, if not indeed the system as a whole.

Thanks for the heads-up though, the wildly incorrect information has been reported through the appropriate channels so hopefully whoever Van Land's Victron distributor is can reach out and offer some much-needed training before people start burning up their electrical systems.

2 |3000