question

robert1982 avatar image
robert1982 asked

RCD tripping

Hi,

I have gone over old answers but I tried their answers and still have a nuisance tripping RCD.

We upgarded an off grid system from a 12v 3000w 120 Multiplus to a 48v 5000w 50 Multiplus ll.

I also installed an RCD immediately after the Victron which it didn’t have before. The RCD is nuisance tripping under high loads from motors (hoover, washing machine etc).

I removed an unnecessary secondary earth rod from the houses which seemed to stop it, but it began again.

I’ve tested the RCD and it’s functioning correctly.

I’ve upgraded the earth to the earth rod to 16mm and installed an earth on the negative from the battery (it didn’t have this before).

I’m not sure if there is a setting on the Victron I haven’t set correctly or it’s an issue with the electrics which the new RCD as reacted to. The old RCD’s in the house we about 5-10yrs old.

All help is appreciated

Thanks

Rob

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

robert1982 avatar image robert1982 commented ·

I think I may have answered my own question. I haven't used a Type B RCD. These are £130 more expensive than standard RCD's so some more experienced input would be appreciated before I order this

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ robert1982 commented ·

Are you using an external physical neutral to earth link after the multi in the AC distribution?

What is the setting of the internal ground relay of the multi?

Is the RCD tripping 100% reproducible, with a particular appliance or set of circumstances?

If yes,

Is it possible to test the appliances with another power supply to see if you can isolate it from the multi?

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
robert1982 avatar image
robert1982 answered ·

You solved it. Much appreciated. I unchecked the Ground Relay option and put in a hard earth/neutral link. No more nuisance tripping.

Thanks so much for your help

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thanks for reporting back. Remember to regularly test the RCD.

0 Likes 0 ·
dylan-hyslop avatar image dylan-hyslop commented ·
This seemed to fix my issue as well. But in theory, I should have my ground relay on as there is an earth-to-neutral bridge Upstream of the Victron.
0 Likes 0 ·
robert1982 avatar image
robert1982 answered ·

No, there isn’t an external link to neutral outside the inverter. Except there are 2 more RCD’s in the house CCU.

I set the Multi to have off grid/linked neutral (I’ll double check this)

It was reproducible with any motor. Then I removed the other earth rod (continuity between its earth wire and the main earth at the board was fine anyway (0.15), so it was in necessary), and the fault went. But it’s come back.

It isn’t doing no it with the split board house RCD’s so it may be an accumulation of earth leakage over the whole house which the split board doesn’t noticed (splits in half there).

1 comment
2 |3000

If that circuit is isolated and the fault disappears, I would call a qualified fault finding inspection electrician.

0 Likes 0 ·
robert1982 avatar image
robert1982 answered ·

Before that, are there any settings in the Victron which would lead to this. E.g. the tip that 2 earth rods can cause it, or 2 earth/neutral links...

2 comments
2 |3000

robert1982 avatar image robert1982 Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I’ll follow method one on the post you sent, while finding the existing earth leakage, and finally a type B RCD. Thanks again

0 Likes 0 ·