question

arneoff avatar image
arneoff asked

620W with 30/100 mppt

I am doing a marine solar installation, and recently contacted a company to provide panels and mppt controller. They proposed a 100/30 victron controller and 2 x 310W panels (24v). When I queried the 100/30 as being too light, they said that as this is a boat, optimum charge conditions would not exist, so no need for the larger controler.

My battery bank is 12V.

To me the controller looks too small, and that I would be loosing valuable charge during the day?

Many thanks

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi. Your installer may have a good point. At best, on a boat you end up with an 'average' of flat panels, no optimum tilt. Shading from sails, spars, rigging wires, handrails, antennas, etc. will all impinge severely too (yes, even wires). Not to mention clouds.

Then your batt type and capacity comes into it too. You don't say, but let's go Pb's and 200Ah @ 12V. Many will recommend 0.1C to 0.2C, that translates to 20 - 40A. And in practice 30A would likely be rarely needed, but in that instance would be a fair choice.

So it *depends*. The Victron range: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BlueSolar-and-SmartSolar-charge-controller-overview-EN.pdf

You could step up to a 100/50, likely at little extra cost, but the 150/ models are unnecessary for you.

If you have more specific info on your setup, please advise..

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

arneoff avatar image arneoff commented ·

Thanks JohnC

I have AGM batteries, 12V, 575 Ah in total.

Does that change the answer at all

Many thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

So with 620 watts wired the PV in 24-36 volts I doubt you are anywhere close to the rated 30 amp max charge output. Have you calculated this? Don't spend the extra money on the 100/50. You can send me cash if you like wasting money.

If you plan to increase your PV down the road, well then it may make sense to bump up to the next size.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Yeh, your larger batts would perhaps tilt me towards the 100/50. But that's just me, I tend to oversize. You're the Cap'n though, and guess the one paying.

Another of those panels (now or later) would be nice then too. Where does one stop, hey?

If your shade is usually substantially different on each panel, you could also consider one mppt per panel, say a 100/20 on each for a good match.

Have fun choosing..

2 |3000

arneoff avatar image
arneoff answered ·

Thanks JohnC

I have AGM batteries, 12V, 575 Ah in total.

Does that change the answer at all

Many thanks

2 |3000