question

tyler-pomerhn avatar image
tyler-pomerhn asked

127V/220V - Three Phase Slightly Higher Voltage?

About to install a three-phase Quattro 10K install on an island in the Caribbean (gear en route, install in 3 months), and had a quick question on voltages.

The island here is pretty much all three-phase power, 120/208Y, and I'm good with that. The "quirk" I'm looking at is that the local power utility runs their power a little higher in voltage than normal - it normally comes out the wall around 127V. I've done some quick research and I see that this is common in South America and some other countries (Mexico was called out on Wikipedia), where they hand off two hots from the three-phase system to the home and since most 120V equipment allows for slightly higher voltages, this allows them to offer two-phase "220V" to larger appliances like ovens/dryers, which some appliances like better than a lower 208V. To be clear, we will get all three hots from the utility, not two, but I was wondering if it would be better for appliances in the event I connect to the grid or fail back to the grid for maintenance, if the voltages were more complementary.

I see that in the VE.Connect app, one can change the output voltage of a 120V Quattro (up to 128V), and I was considering if 1) upping the voltage to 127V is an okay/normal thing to do, 2) if upping the voltage in this manner is supported under VE.Configure Multi in a 3-phase setup, and 3) if anyone else has had a similar situation on these forums to tell me good/poor experience(s) with this.

According to most of the manufacturer's specs on the appliances we're having installed, 208V is perfectly acceptable, but definitely at the low end of the specifications, so I don't know if operating Quattros at 127V instead of 120V puts a strain on them or something, or if I shouldn't bother with the 120/127 difference because it will work fine.

Any recommendations?

quattro 10kva
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Tyler Pomerhn

I have not used the 12v range. But you can in ve configure adjust the 230v ones up to 245v

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VEConfigure_Manual/en/inverter-settings.html

Please note though that is only works while inverting otherwise the system is synchronised to the grid voltage.

If you look at the datasheet for the particular model you are considering you will see there is an operating voltage range that is acceptable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tyler-pomerhn avatar image tyler-pomerhn commented ·

Thanks for your reply. I am not directly connecting these units to the grid, but I am installing a manual transfer switch to allow the home to be powered by the grid in the event that the Quattros have to be taken offline for service/maintenance. So matching the voltage of the grid is not required from a pass-through or powerassist standpoint, only an "appliances may like the similar voltage when I need to do maintenance" standpoint.

1. Can I adjust the voltage in the VE Configure Multi to 127V, as I can in regular VE Configure?
  2. When doing so, is the output of a three-phase system 127/220?
  3. Has anyone in a 127V standard area of the world (Mexico, Sint Maarten, Brazil, Aruba, etc) used Quattros, have they adjusted their voltage to more closely match the grid, especially for three-phase setup? Or do they more closely follow the 120/208 standard when inverting?
  4. Any downside to doing this (as in, does slightly adjusting output voltage higher shorten the lifespan of the Quattro, cause its power factor to change, etc)?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic