question

telltale avatar image
telltale asked

Orion XS in parallel

Has anyone connected 2 new orion Xs in parallel with a powerful alternator that supports 70-80A loads?

orion xs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
telltale avatar image
telltale answered ·

On my configuration of two Orion Xs in parallel my expectations were to get the most out of the 110A alternator (sterling power). But in reality they both come out with 20-25A but each is so in total I don't get to have more than 50A added up. Is it because when I did the test the SOC of the batteries (lifepo4) were at 95%?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

niels-mobers avatar image
niels-mobers answered ·

Be aware that a 110A alternator outputs a lot less when the engine is idling, check what happens when you rev-up your engine, does the charge current go up?. Also, with the engine on detection active, the Orion throttles back if the input/alternator voltage drops to "Vshutdown" (typ: 13.1V for smart alternator). This voltage drop happens because the alternator cannot supply the desired power.

2 |3000

aescott1985 avatar image
aescott1985 answered ·

un cliente nuestro ha montado dos orions XS en paralelo en una autocaravana con alternador de 200ah y está dando 90ah.

2 |3000