question

jurycoetzee avatar image
jurycoetzee asked

How do I prioritize Solar in a Hub2 system?

Hi,

I use a Quattro with Sunnyboy inverter and the system decides on a bright sunny day to run off batteries rather than solar? Come night time the batteries are depleted. I would prefer to maximize solar use first, then use batteries, and lastly grid. I also may not feed back to the grid hence I cannot use ESS on my system in South Africa. Is it possible to write a tool to assist with this? I am computer literate but would like some guidance as to what is possible.

Thanks in advance, Jury.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSsolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello, I am sorry but HUB2 is not supported anymore and there are no upgrades being done there. ESS is no only option for your system. I understand feedin isnt allowed in your area? With the ESS this can only be prevented using ESS in combination with MPPT charge controllers and/or Fronius PV inverters

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jurycoetzee avatar image
jurycoetzee answered ·

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for the reply. Thats a pity though, I am using an SMA Sunnyboy 5000TL that and the no feed-in requirement prevents me from using ESS because ESS can not control the SMA. I am sure there are many users out there using SMA inverters.

1) Is there a reason that you limit your device compatibility to fronius inverters?

2) Why did you not build the frequency shift PV control mechanism into ESS?

3) Why would you not support Hub2 anymore if you do not make the next generation software backwards compatible?

4) Is there a mechanism whereby I can write my own assistants if you do not support them anymore?

2 |3000

Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello

Q1 well Fronius are cooperating with us to share the control/communication.

Q2 Frequency shift is only possible in inverter mode (so then feedin isnt possible anyway)

Q3 As ESS has all features of HUB1, 2 and 4. But also a few features arent compatible as the choosen mechanism is different.

Q4 I am afraid not.

2 |3000