question

Jeremy Albrecht avatar image
Jeremy Albrecht asked

Orion XS Engine Shutdown Detection/Voltages

Background:

I've installed a new Orion XS 12-12/50 in my travel trailer. My tow vehicle is a 1 year old Ram 2500 with dual alternators, with a max output capacity of 380A (so there's no shortage of power). These alternators are controlled by the truck's ECU, so are for all intents and purposes are "smart alternators".

The Orion is fed via a 30' long 2 AWG run from the truck battery (the original wiring was done for a larger and less efficient DC-DC charger), and then reduced (and fused) to an 8" long 4 AWG feed to go to the Orion.

The problem:

Once the truck batteries are charged the voltage from the alternators drops to about 13.6v. I've calculated the voltage drop (50A at 13.6v for 30' one way) over my run to about .5v, which matches the ~13.15v that the Orion is reporting seeing on input. This causes the Orion to reduce charging from the max of 700w down to about 250-300w, because the "Shutdown voltage" setting defaults to 13.10v when you select "Smart Alternator" as the Alternator Type. I had to set the shutdown voltage all the way down at 12.8v to get about 500W out of it. I'm hesitant to go much lower, as the resting voltage of my truck batteries (as detected by the Orion) is 12.63v. There's way less voltage loss since the draw is effectively nil.

The trailer battery bank (412Ah of LiFePo4) was between 45 and 70% SoC during all of this testing.

What should I be setting my engine shutdown detection voltages and lock-out voltages at?

orion xsvoltage drop
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

No hard and fast rules as each vehicle is different.

You are correct to stay above the resting voltage.

You may need to switch the Orion using the H terminal for your vehicle.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jeremy Albrecht avatar image Jeremy Albrecht commented ·
Unfortunately the H terminal is a no go, as the charger is mounted in the trailer so as to keep it close to the battery bank, not in the tow vehicle.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Orion XS product page

Orion XS datasheet

Orion XS manual (html)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic