question

frank007 avatar image
frank007 asked

Use larger mppt than need for now

I have question, everywhere I was looking for answer is only when somebody want to oversize MPPT, but are there any disadvantiges when I want to use mppt 250/100 for only 4 panels in one string? Thing is, I will add more panels to this MPPT later and dont want to buy one small MPPT and then buy new larger MPPT. So that is why I want to use this MPPT instead of something else)

This is for 48V battery configuration.

(victron mppt calculator is showing me this in picture attached, this is result of using 4 panels and it is ofc undersized..)

Thank you for answer.

1718539005046.png

MPPT Controllers
1718539005046.png (766.0 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Fideri avatar image Fideri commented ·
@frank007

How is what the calculator is showing you different from what you want to buy?

But as @nickdb says, I don't see the problem with buying a larger charger. At worst, it will simply put out less power.

There are even bigger MPPTS, if appropriate.

F.

0 Likes 0 ·
frank007 avatar image frank007 Fideri commented ·
@Fideri nothing is different, but calculator shows it is undersized for only 30% and I was curious if this is something bad for MPPT controller. Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Nothing wrong with a large MPPT on a small string. As long as the PV can meet the minimum start voltage of ~6V above the battery voltage (applies to all MPPT's) then it will work fine.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

frank007 avatar image frank007 commented ·

@nickdb thank you very much for answer :)

0 Likes 0 ·