question

steffenp avatar image
steffenp asked

ESS and MQTT

Hi,

in the next days I am going to setup Node Red with MQTT and my ESS.

The first tests are successful. But I only want to use it on local network for a display showing live data.

As I know, as soon, as I use MQTT in the venus gx, the data is also sent to mqtt.victronenetgy.com.

I see this in a light upload traffic. Well, I do not really need the online feature. So is it possible to disable it, while keeping the local function?

Can you make a switch in config menu?

Steffen

ESSVenus GX - VGXMQTT
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

It would be nice to have a switch in the UI as part of the base system, I agree.

Meanwhile, one way that you may be able to block it by editing the etc/hosts file and pointing the mqtt site to somewhere else. I did this for a while and it seemed to work okay.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

steffenp avatar image
steffenp answered ·

Hi ben,

Yeah, i think this should be a working solution. But I want a button for more convienience in future firmware. Imagine the data amount at victrons site, if thousends of systems would do this...

Steffen

2 |3000

gr1pen avatar image
gr1pen answered ·

Block it it your firewall.

2 |3000

pkkrusty avatar image
pkkrusty answered ·

Is this still the best solution? Or in the intervening 5 years, has Victron addressed this with a more official solution?

2 |3000