question

Les Rollins avatar image
Les Rollins asked

Multiplus inverter charger 12 / 3000 / 120 set up

I'm about to uprgrade my inverter charger from a 12 / 1600 / 70 to a 12 / 3000 / 120 will it need to be set up to the system i.e. batteries etc if so can it be set up on a phone using blootooth or will it require connection to a laptop / computer. Is the inverter charger easy to set up. Thanks

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Les Rollins avatar image
Les Rollins answered ยท

I forgot to mention that this inverter charger is going to be used on a narrowboat

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ยท

You will need an MK3 to USB adapter (https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/interface-mk3-usb ) and ve.config with a laptop to configure if you'd like to directly connect to the inverter.

or

You can use a ve.bus smart dongle (https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ve-bus-smart-dongle ) and Victron Connect app on your smart phone.

I haven't used the smart dongle yet, but I know that not 100% of the features are there yet. However basic programming should be doable with the smart dongle, but I still think it's a good idea to have a MK3 to USB in your kit.

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ยท

@LesRollins, you'll need the MK3 to USB adapter and a Windows-based computer; you'll need either the VictronConnect app and/or the VE.Config tools on the computer to program the new Multi. If your settings are pretty basic, the new VictronConnect app for Windows can be used to configure every basic setting, but is you're needing to use Assistants, you'll need the VE.Config tools.

As @nebulight mentioned, you can get the smart dongle for it, but it's basically useless as far as any settings go... you can view information, but you really can't change anything.

Alternatively, all the really basic settings can be set via dipswitch if you really want to get into it, but I highly recommend using the MK3 adapter and a computer, it's much much easier.

Basic setup is pretty straightforward... after you have the app on your computer and you connect the Multi to it, you're looking at probably 10 minutes to set it up unless you have complex configurations that you're getting into.

6 comments
2 |3000

nebulight avatar image nebulight commented ยท

@Justin Cook Victron has put a lot of work into the Victron Connect app recently so you can do a lot more with the smart dongle now. Load up a demo device in the app and you can see what you can do with it. The gap is closing between the two methods.

With that said, you need to be on firmware 415 before you can use it, so I stand by my statement that it's still a good idea to have a MK3 adapter as you'll need that to update the firmware if you aren't current.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ nebulight commented ยท

Hmmm I'll have to do some inspection, @nebulight... our display Multi is connected to a CCGX, so the settings available on my phone through the smart dongle are basically nil, I'll have to try disconnecting the CCGX and seeing if I can access the full feature set now. Thanks for the heads-up!

0 Likes 0 ยท
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE โ™ฆ Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Just open a Demo Multi in Victron Connect

You can change many settings there except the relay function and assistants.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ Matthias Lange - DE โ™ฆ commented ยท

@M.Lange, the Demo Multi displays settings that are accessible via wired desktop access through VictronConnect, not Bluetooth access through VictronConnect. See my later comment after physical verification on an up-to-date system: VictronConnect over BT through a VE.Bus Smart Dongle does not allow configuration/programming.

0 Likes 0 ยท
nebulight avatar image nebulight Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

@Justin Cook It's not clear in the manual, but there is a section on Modes of Operation:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vebus_smart_dongle_manual#modes_of_operation

It doesn't clearly state programming abilities but states what can be done with the dongle with a GX device is on the network.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ nebulight commented ยท

FYI @nebulight, I just tried it with my test bench Multi setup, and there's still no programming functionality with the smart dongle... alas.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Les Rollins avatar image
Les Rollins answered ยท

Thanks for that guys. What settings will I need to change apart from landline set to 16 amps and the battery configuration which is float 13.50 bulk 14.82 absorption 14.70 for a maximum of 4 hours and equalization 16.20. Taken from the trojan website regarding there T105s 6v batteries. @ Justin Cook @ nebulight

2 comments
2 |3000

nebulight avatar image nebulight commented ยท

I always suggest setting low voltage shut down limit as I think the default is really low. I also set my charge current to match the battery bank size as the 3000 has a 120amp charger which may be too much for a smaller battery bank's long term health. I have lifepo4 and I never charge above .5c. You might want to check the specs of your battery for suggested charge currents.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Les Rollins avatar image Les Rollins nebulight commented ยท

@nebulight what charge current would you suggest for a 675 amp battery bank

0 Likes 0 ยท