question

techlysmic avatar image
techlysmic asked

EasySolar + alternator battery charging

I'm building a solar system for my Ford Transit van (12V) and would like to minimize wiring/electrical footprint inside the van).

This diagram is close to what I WAS going to do before finding the Victron EasySolar 12/1600/70 which may replace several individual components. https://faroutride.com/interactive-wiring-diagram/

One area Victron doesn't seem to address (I found a thread talking about a DC-DC option "coming soon") is battery-to-battery charging. I have a 220a vehicle alternator which I'd like to use for charging while driving, if/when I need to disconnect solar (or extended lack of sun).

I plan to use Lithium LifePO4 batteries and understand charging profile is important.

For a battery-to-battery charger (like a Sterling BB1260) for correct charging profile, is this native with the current Victron EasySolar? If not, can I wire such an external charger in line with the EasySolar to the lithium bank without conflict or damage to either component?

Thanks in advance!

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Hi T. I won't actually 'answer' this, so it will stay flagged.

Victron's project van would be worth a look, but bear in mind it's not designed to minimize anything.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/06/18/the-victron-van-install/

The Easysolar box is just a combo of other Victron kit, with handy breakers onboard. No reason you can't parallel alongside it with other devices.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Techlysmic, hopefully you've found this question answered elsewhere since you originally posted the question, but in case not:

Yes, you can run a Sterling B2B charger in parallel with your other charging components without danger of interference or damage, so long as everything is connected properly and so long as you ensure that under no circumstances will the recommended charge rate of your LFP bank be exceeded.

Additionally, the Victron Orion-Tr Smart battery to battery charger is now in production and, depending on your location, is either already available or will be available within the next one to two months, so if you want to stay all Victron blue with your install, you either already can or will soon be able to :)

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

techlysmic avatar image techlysmic commented ·

Yep! Built my system with the B2B and it's working perfectly, thanks!

I would consider a Victron for future builds, although I would prefer a higher amperage delivery than 30A -are other models in the works? I'm sure the monitoring side would provide some benefits over the Sterling.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ techlysmic commented ·

Not currently; the 30A is the biggest in a 12v version that's been announced or even really discussed; part of this is because higher current = more necessary cooling and since the Orion-Tr Smart uses passive cooling in an extremely compact form factor, this necessarily limits its current handling capabilities.

Monitoring is definitely easier over bluetooth, of course; I'll also note that multiple units can be parallel-connected to a single bank for a higher charge rate (which of course you can do with the Sterling as well). One big difference between the Orion-Tr Smart and the Sterling models, however, is that the Victron unit is rated by delivery while the Sterling is rated by draw - ie, the Sterling BB1230 draws up to 30A from the start battery but will only ever deliver ~23-25A to the house bank, while the Victron 12/12-30 delivers up to the full 30A current to the house bank... worth noting!

I'm sure that Sterling will treat you well in the meantime, but when it comes time to upgrade, definitely have a look at the Victron units :)

0 Likes 0 ·